39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. will Domain name forwarding hurt my site?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Does domain forwarding hurt your SE rank?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 3
  4. my domain    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Do hyphens hurt or help your domain name?

If you have a name with a couple of hyphens in it,
    would that hurt or help as far as SEO and popularity and stuff like that?

Status

Re: Do hyphens hurt or help your domain name?

The content of your site is far more important to the search engines than your choice of domain names, and whether or not it has hypens, underscores or anything else in it.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jigga18 View Post
    If you have a name with a couple of hyphens in it,
    would that hurt or help as far as SEO and popularity and stuff like that?
    Hyphens hurt your rankings. But it's not a "Make or break" deal. Nothing is a huge chunk of rankings. Every little bit adds up.

New User

Status

I recall a time when hyphens helped your rankings on Yahoo. That was when Yahoo used to place more emphasis on domain names and everyone was rushing to buy hyphenated keyword domain names.
    Nowadays I don't think a hyphen makes a difference.

New User

Status

I think it looks better if you don't use hyphens, but I don't think it really affects google rankings. I did read an interesting article about the effect of hyphens and underscores in the URL (not the domainname) and it definitely appears that google treats hyphens as a word separator, whereas Yahoo prefers underscores.

New User

Status

Hi,

My experience has proved that hyphens DO help the spiders make out the word as each hyphen works like a space between words and so distinguishes the words. If your hyphenated domain name is also keyword-rich, then it has additional benefits.

Each and every hyphenated domain name of mine has been ranked highly (within the first three on page one of Google), often within a few hours of me submitting my URL to Google!

When I buy a domain, I buy a .com with hyphens and also one without hyphens. If the non-hyphenated domain name is a long-tail, then I park that on the same host account and link it to my website (with the hyphens) so that however the keyword rich domain term is typed, my site appears.

You'll find that many well-known marketers follow this principle for maximum effect.

It goes without saying, however, that the content of your site needs to be good, too, otherwise your domain name, however good, will not get you far with the search engines.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

New User

Status

Jamie,
    Do you prefer domains with a hyphen or underscore as a separator? So, your advice is to buy both a hyphenated and non-hyphenated domain with keyword(s) and cross link them? Does this work well for both yahoo and google? Thanks.

New User

Status

I saw a lot of websites that are optimized for search engines use hyphens in the domain to separate keywords. So I think it helps but don't like how the domains looks:S

New User

Status

From my experience hyphens do not hurt ranking in any way. It would actually help seo if it was separating a non-dictionary word from another.

New User

Status

i do not think it will hurt but the content of you site is more important you want to spend your time on that.

Status

I thought google more or less treats them the same?..say AHFB-2000 is the same as AHFB2000??? Never really looked into it. I bough my first hypen name only last month so its not a big deal for me

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by firmaterra View Post
    I thought google more or less treats them the same?..say AHFB-2000 is the same as AHFB2000??? Never really looked into it. I bough my first hypen name only last month so its not a big deal for me
    I am pretty sure that they do as well. Page rank is not based on whether you have a hyphen in your domain name, but rather on the relevance and importance of your backlinks from other sites. So for example links in signatures are given a lower weight then those that are in an article.

New User

Status

I see many webpages at the top of Google with hyphens in them. What seems to help best for SEO is having the search term in your domain name regardless of the hyphens.

New User

Status

I don't think search engines care about hyphens in domain names. For SEO it has littele or absolutely no impact. For the internet user, its not easy to remember if he needs to type the url.
    Personally i think, Hyphens are blessings. You have to use them when necessary..

Superbowl.com could be Superb-Owl.com (a restaurant, The Superb Owl)

So use what you need to keep the name clear.

New User

Status

Don't Use The hyphens in your domain URL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last