37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. will Domain name forwarding hurt my site?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Does domain forwarding hurt your SE rank?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 3
  4. my domain    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 3

Status

Re: Do hyphens hurt or help your domain name?

Hyphens help search-bots in making difference between two keyowrds .

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jigga18 View Post
    If you have a name with a couple of hyphens in it,
    would that hurt or help as far as SEO and popularity and stuff like that?
    Hello jigga,

Yes ! the hyphens in domain names will hurt your SEO and popularity of your site. The domain name with hyphens not looks really great. Avoid to use hyphens in your domain name. A domain name should be easy to remember and quick to type by the public. To increase the traffic of your site, use a perfect domain name which should be meaning ful and your domain name should be related with your website content. Loyal users like to use short names. So, try to choose short and legit domain name for your website. The domain extensions are also important to improve your page ranking. Use the popular top level domains like .com,.org etc.
    Last edited by HTML; 01-31-2013 at 07:35 AM.

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jigga18 View Post
    If you have a name with a couple of hyphens in it,
    would that hurt or help as far as SEO and popularity and stuff like that?
    Hyphens make it hard to give your domain name verbally and falls down on being easy to remember or type. I'd suggest not using spelled-out or roman numerals in domains, as both can be confusing and mistaken for the other."For getting a good domain name in terms of accessibility you need to follow some factors given below
    1.Domain name must be short.
    2.Try to avoid too many '_' symbol in your domain name.
    3.Get the domain name that related to your business or product or organization.
    4.If you want to get the domain extension .com and that is not available means try to register the new domain with the other extension like .org, .info, .edu, etc.
    After a choosing a good domain name check the availability of the name. If available means register it with a good domain registrar like *****.com.
    Last edited by jonathan143; 10-15-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: some errors

New User

Status

Exclamation Re: Do hyphens hurt or help your domain name?

I am telling you from my personal experience that I am getting more traffic on domains that don't contain hyphens and numbers. I wanted to rank a website whose domain's format was something like that: hair_mag dot com- Though I was getting few visitors for the term hairstyle magazine but in Google ranking I was on the third page, whereas my domain should appear on the first page for the main keywords. This is how the use of numbers, hyphens or misspelled words can hurt your website in search rankings. So if you ever want to buy a domain, you should try to use minimum words (keywords) in the name and refrain from using numbers, underscores, hyphens or prepositions like "is", "to" etc.

Disabled

Status

At one time hyphens could help you with SEO. We're past those times though.. Hyphens no longer play and role so I would suggest staying away from them.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2