40 users online (0 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 10
  2. URGENT div problems with browsers.    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Replies: 1
  4. Browsers ---- HELP!!!    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6

Status

Music on different Browsers

Am I right in thinking that the default music player for windows is the Media Player and for Netscape its Quicktime

I have embedded music into my webpage but when I try to show the player controls (just the on/off buttons) in a H15 x W20 box, it doesn't work. This size suits the Media Player but does not suit Quicktime. So it looks like I may have to make one page for Netscape and one for IE..

1. If (the default) is not the case how do I find out which browser is using which Player, do you have a script for such a problem..

2. If (the default) is the case then can you please show me the script to tell Netscape from IE..
    I am afraid all the other (MAC) (AOL) (ORACLE) (WHOEVER)
    users will just have to take there chances, unless you can come up with an answer for them all..!!

3. Or can I make the choice within the page itself as to which size box instead of two different pages.?

(I would prefer to give the viewer the choice whether to have music or not)..

I dont see too many questions about compatibility between browsers and operating systems, am I alone in thinking its worth being concered about..? Or should I just look after myself.. (Or am I going about the whole thing the wrong way)..??

Sorry this is a bit long winded.. thanx Vernon
    Glenvern

Administrator

Status
    Hi Vern.

Heressome code for choosing between two browsers -

Code:
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    browserName=navigator.appName; 

if ((browserName=="Netscape") ||  (browserName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"))
      {     
        if (browserName=="Netscape")
            version="NS";
         else
             version="IE";
         }
      else
          version="OTHER"; 

if ((version=="NS") || (version=="IE"))
    {
     if (version=="NS")  

DO THE NETSCAPE THING

}

if (version=="IE")  

DO THE MICROSOFT THING

}

//-->
    </SCRIPT>
    Place this wherever you want the THING code to appear.

As for browser compatibilty, I used to fret about this a lot. You will find that whilst HTML and JavaScript have not really improved, web standards like CSS are gradually becoming more and more uniformly adopted. Good news for us all, of course.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?