70 users online (0 members and 70 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. Restoring MySQL Database After Crash    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 5
  3. Replies: 1
  4. IFrame causing problems    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. Replies: 5
    New User

Status

mysql processes continually sleep causing server crash

Hi all,

We've been running several virtual servers on a single LAMP host that access about 10 databases for some time now without any serious problems.

In the last week or so a rather alarming series of events is causing the mysql server to lockup with a too many connections error, then fall over completely, on two occasions this has caused db tables to corrupt. To recover site functionality a full server restart is normally required although a mysql flush-hosts sometimes does the trick.

Nothing has been chaged/added recently so am a bit baffled.

Looking at the mysql process list when the problem arrises shows hundreds of processes that seem to be locked into the sleep command for no apparent reason. I have been through all of the connection code over all sites and ensured there are no persistant connections made to the server, hence all connections should auto-close at script termination.

I have edited my.cnf to allow more connections and give the server a bit of breathing room but this is still occuring pretty much daily.

Can anyone suggest any possible causes/sollutions as I'm out of ideas!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Status

Re: mysql processes continually sleep causing server crash

Which version of mysql are you using, and on what hardware?
    There appears to be a problem with < 4.2 with Dual Xeon Hyperthreaded setups, for example ...

New User

Status

Re: mysql processes continually sleep causing server crash

Many thanks for the reply.
    I have resolved the issue by setting the interactive timeout to 600 seconds this causes the sleeping connections to be dropped eventually.
    Its certainly not a fix but at least its a resolution