39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. Injunction granted in lawsuit against Gator    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 4
  2. verisign / network solutions chokes again    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 2
  3. Verisign loses .org    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 4
  4. Verisign sells email list of 1.9 million    Forum: Email Spam
    Replies: 1
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

BulkRegister Gets Injunction Against VeriSign

ISP news is reporting that a temporary injunction has been granted against Verisign due to thier alleged deceptive trade practices.

http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_1122101,00.html

Related link: http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_help_desk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=642

Is this is a sign for things to come in the suit against Verisign? Could this have an impact on how some of the other shady registers handle thier business?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Be Yourself

Status
    one more case down, a couple hundred to go

New User

Status

I need to get rid of unconstitutional verisign of invasion of my pc!

The reason I came to this site was that Verisign somehow invaded my compaq
    pc, and it prohibits me from getting to my own html station pages at mp3.com, which is really the core of what I do, over a million people have checked my stations out there and I've helped turn Evenescence and other bands that were generally unknown before I helped them, into unique recognized musicians who have a niche in the musical culture of the whole planet!

<p>So this verisign software would be a catostrophe for me professionally if I couldn't get rid of it, and I also noted in their terms how they spy and censor in unethical and unconstitutional ways! Verisign seems to make it as hard as possible for the average web surfer to uninstall their unwanted software. I'm not just thinking of myself here. This is a real Orwellian nightmare and we need to get the word out to our fellow citizens, and make them aware of all the censorship and spying that will be going on until they uninstall. And make the uninstall methods widely known!

<p>Gator was just a nuisance and it wasn't that difficult for me to figure out how to uninstall it. This verisign stuff is really more sinister. For it to show up at the same time as all the unconstitutional surveillance associated with the so-called "Patriot Act"s and the "Office of Homeland Security", is sure to make many smart people paranoid!

<p>Thanks for being here to handle this important issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    ISP news is reporting that a temporary injunction has been granted against Verisign due to thier alleged deceptive trade practices.

http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_1122101,00.html

Related link: http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...=&threadid=642

Is this is a sign for things to come in the suit against Verisign? Could this have an impact on how some of the other shady registers handle thier business?

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I am unaware of any "scumware" associated with verisign other than the issuance of the certificates, maybe you could fill me in?
    For it to show up at the same time as all the unconstitutional surveillance associated with the so-called "Patriot Act"s and the "Office of Homeland Security", is sure to make many smart people paranoid!
    paranoid is a good word.

Dave

New User

Status

Verisign Site Finder Censorship Scam

I am unaware of any "scumware" associated with verisign other than the issuance of the certificates, maybe you could fill me in?

paranoid is a good word.

Dave
    This is how the scam works. The full URL of one of my popular radio stations is
    http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/339/how_does_it_feel_to_be_one_of_.html Don't ask me why mp3.com gives us such long and unmemorable URL's. When I hit the short-cut on my desk-top to go there, it always worked for months now...indeed for years this kind of thing has always worked for me getting to various sites at mp3.com. But now my BROWSER IS HIJACKED AS SOON AS I OPEN IT! It goes straight to sitefinder.verisign.com, and then runs some kind of a search from there. Then it comes back with the negative answer "We didn't find stations.mp3s.com. There is no such website" Of course, verisign suggests I go to one of the sites that's paying them instead!

My browser is also hijacked, diverted and prevented from reaching the Master Station Administration area where I can work on the playlists and html of my stations. It's possible that this is more an unintentional glitch in the Verisign sitefinder than a direct attempt to censor out mp3.com. It's like this search engine doesn't understand how mp3.com structures their thousands of sub pages. There is no page at stations.mp3s.com , the most general station page is mp3.com/stations , but then the full URL's for the stations have this rather different format. BUT I NEVER NEEDED, WANTED OR ASKED FOR THIS SITEFINDER TO BEGIN WITH! And I can't figure out how to get the damn thing out of my computer, and free my browser to work like it used to!

Administrator

Status

Now I got ya This has nothing to do with a download of any BHO. Since Verisign is the keeper of all things domain, they are able to redirect any mistyped domains to "Sitefinder". Sitefinder which launched September 15th, is only supposed to redirect in the same instances that would previously through default redirect to go through MSN search or would give a 404 error..

Actually, I just saw on the front page of yahoo 5 minutes ago that this was going to discontinue atleast temoporarily. Verisign is bowing to recent pressure by ICANN in which they gave a deadline to cease and decist of 9 p.m. Saturday (0100 GMT Sunday), after which it will "seek promptly to enforce Verisign's contractual obligations."
    Per ICANN's directive, VeriSign will temporarily suspend the service on 6 p.m. PT on Saturday, Oct. 4.

VeriSign requested a three-day extension to give notice to the community, but ICANN rejected the request.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&ncid=1804&e=1&u=/washpost/20031004/tc_washpost/a42107_2003oct3
    Only 4 days after launch Netster.com took offense and filed a $100 million suit in Orlando based on alleged antitrust violations, unfair competition and violations of the Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. Again 4 days later on September 22nd, Go Daddy filed suit in Arizona

Go Daddy's lawsuit claims that VeriSign is misusing its position as the .com and .net domain registry to gain an unfair competitive advantage by intercepting (and profiting from) internet traffic resulting from the scores of invalid domain names that are typed into users' browsers on a daily basis.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030922/lam075_1.html
    Dave

New User

Status

Wink So how do I repair the damage and verisign from coming back?

Yeah, they did cease and desist from re-directing my browser to "sitefinder" . Now it goes to the old style error page. But all the working sites the sitefinder couldn't "find" my browser is still unable to reach! These include all the station and artist(band) sites hosted at mp3.com. They aren't all down. I'm not mistyping them, I use links to them that always worked before. Clearly my browser has been re-configured or damaged by this parasite, which still makes it unable to reach many sites at mp3.com.

It's a good thing that someone stopped Verisign from doing this to more computers. It is very unfair to give a pretext that you are only re-directing people to your advertising when they mistype a site name -- and then sabotage peoples browser settings so that they are actually re-directed from some functioning sites too! You see what I mean? I have a sinking feeling that Yahoo mite have facilitated this through their tool bar in my browser which I have now removed. I think I'll write a very pointed little letter to Yahoo about how totally this scam sucks!

Thank you for the update on why I'm not going to the "sitefinder" page any more this evening.

Now I got ya This has nothing to do with a download of any BHO. Since Verisign is the keeper of all things domain, they are able to redirect any mistyped domains to "Sitefinder". Sitefinder which launched September 15th, is only supposed to redirect in the same instances that would previously through default redirect to go through MSN search or would give a 404 error..

Actually, I just saw on the front page of yahoo 5 minutes ago that this was going to discontinue atleast temoporarily. Verisign is bowing to recent pressure by ICANN in which they gave a deadline to cease and decist of 9 p.m. Saturday (0100 GMT Sunday), after which it will "seek promptly to enforce Verisign's contractual obligations."

Only 4 days after launch Netster.com took offense and filed a $100 million suit in Orlando based on alleged antitrust violations, unfair competition and violations of the Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. Again 4 days later on September 22nd, Go Daddy filed suit in Arizona

Dave
    Last edited by Dancing Dave; 10-05-2003 at 01:45 AM.

Administrator

Status

But all the working sites the sitefinder couldn't "find" my browser is still unable to reach! These include all the station and artist(band) sites hosted at mp3.com. They aren't all down. I'm not mistyping them, I use links to them that always worked before.
    So you have contacted MP3.com? They told you that all sub-domains were up?

Clearly my browser has been re-configured or damaged by this parasite, which still makes it unable to reach many sites at mp3.com.
    Clearly you did not read my previous post, there is NO BHO! NO files in your computer have been altered and no new BHO files installed, NO PARASITE. Have you looked on your computer for anything? Have you run Spybot Search & Destroy?
    I have a sinking feeling that Yahoo mite have facilitated this through their tool bar in my browser which I have now removed. I think I'll write a very pointed little letter to Yahoo about how totally this scam sucks!
    The list of conspirators grows, now Yahoo lol. Before you make a fool of yourself writing a "pointed letter" to Yahoo, maybe you should research. Funny how I have never installed a Yahoo toolbar yet I get a 404 page through every subdomain at mp3.com. Funny that I have a system *ree of scumware, yet I still get a 404 at every mp3.com subdomain. Granted, I have not ruled out the Homeland Security Dept, Ossama Uday Qusay Otay, nor Jimmy Hoffa.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HTML; 10-05-2003 at 09:57 AM.