Results 1 to 15 of 15
05-23-2002, 01:35 PM #1
I am new here, but would like to say
"Hello" and compliment everyone for the
awesome job you are doing!! I was
surprised when I went through my Ad-Ware
and 75% of them was from "Gator." So
I just deleted the program...
I used to think it was good, but I
sure am learning alot. And I am
looking forward to learning alot
more....see ya later!!
Edited to change title
Last edited by HTML; 07-07-2002 at 10:43 AM.
05-23-2002, 06:21 PM #2
Welcome aboard BlueVelvet1
Yes, there is a great group of folks hanging around sharing knowledge and helping the forums to grow.
I too am a former Gator user, I am ashamed to say but I am a former promoter. Once they started, imo, taking advantage of our websites like they did I started looking for a new program. The only one I could find is Roboform, thank goodness they also have a utility which transfers all the info from gator to roboform.
I downloaded Adaware, you would be amazed at all the spyware on your computer. The only thng I have left on my computer is Alexa, I enjoy the software and I find that the little I give up is justified for myself. Once you have Adaware, you should be certain to run it atleast a couple times a week. Many people have gator and do not even know it.
05-23-2002, 06:37 PM #3
05-23-2002, 07:13 PM #4
Dave....thank you so much for the wonderful welcome. As you may notice
I am new to this, but besides my pets,
I really enjoy my PC and it seems I am
learning something new each day, and to
be sure is running properly and "scum
I was surfing around today, and I just
happened to come across this site and
I thought how wonderful it is to have
something like this....especially for
us beginners....hopefully beginners are
allowed I have tried making a web site pertaining to pets several times.....and
to be honest, I get lost . But
I hope I can be a part of this, and
learn more as I go along. I must admit
some people are quite talented!! My
14 year old nephew knows more than I do.... Hopefully, you have some
other newbies here.
Thank you once again and I will be following you as you (we) go along.
05-23-2002, 11:40 PM #5
We are all newbies in one way or another, im pretty sure none of us know it all..
Im a :
M$ Acce$$ newbie
(several other db's listed here)
And my HTML is far from perfect.. sure I know it, but I hate it.. id rather code php ;P
Welcome, feel free to ask some questions
05-25-2002, 08:24 PM #6
Wow, that ad-aware was really good. I uninstalled gator but they somehow (by MISTAKE I'm sure ) left their ad software on my machine And many other stuff I've gotten rid of now, but one question...
You mentioned you didn't want to get rid of Alexa... what is Alexa? Cause I have it on my machine too so before I delete it I want to find out what it does
05-26-2002, 08:10 PM #7
I did a search, and I wonder if it's the amazon search bar..
Seems to be a search service similar to google's.. then again, maybe Im totaly wrong.. lol
05-26-2002, 10:13 PM #8
05-27-2002, 11:27 AM #9
05-30-2002, 11:20 AM #10
Hahhaha I did a full 'puter search and I had 124 components! All gone now...thx for the program reccomendation.
06-26-2002, 02:38 AM #11
beginners who have problem coding (like me) should try using dreamweaver 4.
that and looking at source code of good sites (without stealing) are all u need to learn html.
07-07-2002, 11:08 AM #12
Since Google has seen fit to rank this as a relevant resource to discuss Gator, I wanted to update this thread in order to make things easier for the hundreds of people who have and will view it. To those that are new to AHFB I invite you to register and share your Gator horror stories.
This is for those that have not intentionally installed Gator
checking your system for Gator and its components/delete gator Keep in mind that uninstalling gator is not as easy as using the add/remove or uninstall function. To fully remove Gator download Spybot search and destroy or similiar.
This is for those that have knowingly installed Gator for its password/form filling capabilities
Install Roboform Roboform is a *ree utility that fully respects not only the right of webmasters, but the consumers right to not have popups as well as the privacy of its users. I fully endorse the use of this product as have many many others. Here is a direct link to download Roboform (you will not leave this page)
Transfer Gator data to Roboform
1. If you have a Gator password, remove it first: in Gator settings click Remove in the Gator Password section. When Gator asks for a password, type it in and click OK.
2. Export your Gator data to a file with a GAT extension: in Gator settings click Export in User Information section. When "Save As" windows appears, type in the name of your file. Save this file into a folder where you can easily find it, for instance, into "My Documents" folder.
3. Click this link: GatorToRoboForm converter When the "File Download" dialog comes up, select "Run the program from its current location" and click OK. If you are using IE6, click the "Open" button instead. When the "Security Warning" dialog comes up, click "Yes".
* Click the Browse button in the Converter and select the file that you saved in step 2.
* Click the Convert button and your data will be converted. Check the conversion log for error messages.
4. Select More. Refresh in the RoboForm toolbar and RoboForm will load the converted Passcards and Identities.
Password Protection. All Identities and Passcards converted from Gator are initially not password-protected. If you want to password-protect them, open the "More. Options. User Data" dialog, click the "Set Master Password, Mass-Protect/Unprotect" button, click the "Protect All" radio button, type in your new Master Password and click OK. All your Passcards and Identities will be password-protected by new Master Password.
Login URLs. Gator does not store the URL of the login page, so the GoTo, Go&Fill and Login commands will bring you to the front page of the web site, not to the login page. You will need to re-save these Passcards as RoboForm Passcards in order to make GoFill/Login work correctly:
- Go to the login page of a web site for which you have Gator passcard.
- RoboForm's AutoFill dialog will offer to fill forms from Gator passcard. Click "Fill Forms" and your login info will be filled. You can also use Gator to fill login info.
- Remove Gator passcard from which login info was filled: in the Passcard Editor click the Del button and confirm.
- Click the Submit button on web page and RoboForm's AutoSave dialog will come up. Name your new passcard and click "Save Forms". The newly save passcard will have URL of the login page saved.
- Repeat the above steps for all Passcards converted from Gator
07-07-2002, 11:31 AM #13
09-22-2004, 04:39 AM #14
Gator is an Adware and has to be removed from every computer. This sowtware has been developed in such way that user should spend a lot of time removing it. So it is better allow to do this job to anti-virus or removal tool.
10-07-2004, 06:47 PM #15
gator is a horrible piece of software, i remember installing a software and this gator came with it... i checked the folder size after i installed it as i was a bit curious.. it was something like 440 KB.. after a few month my PC started to get slow and i ran a spy ware remover proggie... and wonder of wonders.. the folder size had increased to 14 MB :@