19 users online (0 members and 19 guests)  

Related

1. Tips For Search Engine Friendly Website Design    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 14
  2. How to make a search engine?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 16
    New User

Status

By a 'newbie'. How do I make a PHP directory index page 'search engine friendly'?

Hello,
    Please read this first bit to 'understand' my angle - where I'm coming from.
    I found this forum site by 'googling' 'website promotion forum'. I'm a PHP iliterate 'newbie'.I'm an affiliate marketeer. I've brought a very affordable directory script & the writers have shown me excellent suport in customizing the script so in theory I can use it to start a major 'one way links' campaign for my other website (No prizes for guessing my search term / keywords) I believe at least 80% of people like me with a new website to promote know hardly anything. My website homepage is written in M/S frontpage & I use this because it's easier for a 'newbie' to create for search engine optomization. My website is in 'newbie' language for newbies. I've based a lot of my homepage on helping newbies to get started with website promotion & search engine optomization (SEO). It has useful links.

My Question:
    Is there a relatively simple way to manipulate the PHP index page to make it more search engine friendy without causing PHP errors? It's easy to do this for HTML documents (ad copy, meta tags etc) but what about PHP? I want to get google PR (the holy grail) Not knowing PHP I can only edit the text areas of the php file. are there basic codes that work like meta tags for do html or must I just rely on getting as many people as possible to visit the PHP index page.

The question is simple but so far finding the answer isnt! My wesite in question is www.one-way-links.net/links/ . I'm not trying to promote my site here but if you cant see the problem how can you help?

Thanks for your time in reading what is probably a long forum post. Us 'newbies' gotta start somewhere. Of course I'll be linking to this forum if I'm able to get my question answered.

Merry Christmas & a Happy & Prosperous New Year!
    David Elton, Reading, England
    Last edited by HTML; 07-06-2007 at 08:06 AM.

New User

Status

Thumbs up Re: By a 'newbie'. How do I make a PHP directory index page 'search engine friendly'?

Problem solved! My dir links page is now showing on page 2 of a MSN search for 'one way links'. so I guess it is a search engine friendly page already! Don't take my word for it, go to MSN & search 'one way links' yourself! It's no where yet in the top 2 engines but it's a start!

Status

Re: By a 'newbie'. How do I make a PHP directory index page 'search engine friendly'?

Although you've solved it, a brief bit of info to help you understand php:
    The web browser, and therefore the search engine, does not see the php - they see the html that the php script generates, so you can manipulate the code in the same way as you do html.
    If you do a "view source" on your page, you'll only see html (with a bit of javascript!) - no php - so you can work out where the php outputs html, read around a bit, then adjust the output accordingly.