47 users online (1 members and 46 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. Replies: 2
  2. Opening home page    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Welcome home!    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 0
  4. Home page link = 404    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Re: Home Page in IE7

First, I apologize in advance for the long post that follows and please excuse this NooB post, but I also encountered this same exact problem with IE7. I have already gone through the 6 pack and several reboots, so I guess it is time to back up the old registry and edit it manually.

I think I know what the problem is. I had been using an older version of IE7 and have been using it since some of the early Beta's without problems... that is, until now.

I thought to myself (always dangerous) that I had not updated the software in a while so I went into Tools, Options, etc. and clicked the option to let it do an automatic update. I figured it would just download the updates and install them and in a worse case scenario, I would have to restart IE7 and since this is WinDoze we are talking about, prolly reboot.

When it was automatically updating, it asked if I wanted to allow the Malicious Software Removal Tool to install and I just thoughtlessly clicked yes. That is when the fun began with the homepage issues. I uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled it and still could not get the darn homepage to stay on my customized ig Google homepage.

I then uninstalled the software again and reinstalled the Google’s 'safe' version from the Google IE7 download site figuring it would not allow MSN to take control and block other homepages. Wrong again. I know I have no virus or spyware and even went into Ad-Aware and changed the homepage setting there that MSN had apparently also changed. It has become a giant PITA and I would just go completely over to the dark side of FireFox or even a little further - all the way to Apple. When the 64 bit OS is out in the fall, I am afraid I will finally return to Apples...

I would use FireFox only now, if some of the java flash players were not so slow in it as compared to in IE7.

Just to be certain before I do the manual edit, could someone copy and paste the section out of the registry that has already had instructions posted for it since I am dyslexic and if I Skrew this one up it will be a massive...

Thanx in advance for your help and this forum.

New User

Status

Exclamation Re: Home Page in IE7

I finally figured out how to solve my problem after I figured out what was causing it. It is the same for a lot of others I am sure and I have not found this covered in extensive Google searches of the interweb or anywhere on MicroSoft's site. If this is what is keeping your hijacked homepage as msn.com (or some other) I hope it helps.

When IE7 did its automatic update and it went to configure itself it set msn.com as the homepage. I use Norton and in Norton there is a homepage protection feature that was overridden when I did the update of IE7. However, it remained in effect whti msn.com being protected.

It then became a simple fix to go into Norton Protection Center, then select Web Browsing, then right click on Auto Protect, then select Configure Auto Protect, then in the left column click on Home Page Protection, then de-select Turn Home Page Protection On, then go back and start Internet Explorer 7, go to Internet Options, then wipe out the entry for MSN.com and put your desired URL for your homepage into the appropriate space and then apply changes and exit from Internet Options. Voila, easy as pie. Oh, and if you go back to Norton Protection Center and re-select Home Page Protection On... but, do not forget how you did it because you are certain to encounter this problem again at some point.

Thanx for you understanding for a NooB and his tendency to type way too much.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2