41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Related

1. Where to get work    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 6
  2. why won't it work??    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. can't get a:hover to work in IE6    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Can you tell me if it's work?    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Encrypted web page - how does it work?

Hi,

I tried out a new program that encrypts my HTML code. I was very skeptical at first, but after testing, it works great. Now in the view source, all people can see is a bunch of gibberish. But how does it work? Since the page is encoded, there must be something to decode it, but where is the decoder? In the web browser? I googled it but didn't find much informatioon on it. Can someone help?

Thanks.

MacPC
    Last edited by MacPC; 03-05-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Status

Re: Encrypted web page - how does it work?

I've seen this sort of thing before. You're right, there is some kind of decrypter, and it probably sits on the server.

Personally, I would be very wary of using something like this, unless you don't care whether or not your site gets indexed by the search engines. Remember, the search engines look at your code, not the rendered page. If they can't read your code, they won't index your site.

You're probably shooting yourself in the foot by encrypting your web pages.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Thanks vinyl-junkie.

"You're probably shooting yourself in the foot by encrypting your web pages."

Yea, that was my next question. I was afraid of that. What if I just encrypt the body part of the page but not the head, leave the meta tags untouched, would that help?

I am curious, if the sever decrypts the code, won't the decrypted code show up on the viewer's page? Does the web browser have a built in decrypter?

MacPC.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
    What if I just encrypt the body part of the page but not the head, leave the meta tags untouched, would that help?
    Remember, search engines can't read the encrypted parts. If a portion of the page is something you want the search engines to be able to read, don't encrypt it. Period.

I am curious, if the sever decrypts the code, won't the decrypted code show up on the viewer's page?
    The rendered code will show up in the viewer's browser, not the code itself.

Does the web browser have a built in decrypter?
    The decrypter is most likely a script on the server, not the browser.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more