45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

Related

1. How do I search within my site?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Who here has a site that is listed in a search engine?    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Please review my new meta search site!    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 6
    New User

Status

Question Help in Search Features in the site

Hi guys,

1) I wanted to have a Search Features in the website. The Search features will be something like google search but it will only search my site. I know google do provide that but my company just don't allow. Do you guys know how to do it? Can I do it with pure HTML will Javascript. I heard my friend said that it need to use PHP and a databse. If need to use PHP, can somebody guide me on doing that? I will be appriciate your help.

2) I wanted to add in a counter in my website too.. can it be done using Html and javascript alone? or need to do it in PHP as well? Can assist me with that? please....
    Thanks alot
    Last edited by kitkat; 03-12-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Status

Re: Help in Search Features in the site

For number (1) on your list, you're looking for a website search engine. There are plenty of them out there. The one I'm currently using is sphider. It's very easy to setup and use.

For number (2), I use sitemeter but considering all the ads you have to wade through to see your counter stats, I'm sure there is probably something better.

p.s. - Welcome to AHFB!
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Status

A page counter can be done in loads of different ways, cgi, php (either on its own or with mysql), asp etc. etc.
    It depends how much you depth you want to go into.
    Just google "hit counters" to get an idea what's out there, and once you've decided what you're after you can refine your search.
    If your page is hosted, there may be a script you can just use.

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
    For number (1) on your list, you're looking for a website search engine. There are plenty of them out there. The one I'm currently using is . It's very easy to setup and use.

For number (2), I use but considering all the ads you have to wade through to see your counter stats, I'm sure there is probably something better.

p.s. - Welcome to AHFB!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMeatGF View Post
    A page counter can be done in loads of different ways, cgi, php (either on its own or with mysql), asp etc. etc.
    It depends how much you depth you want to go into.
    Just google "hit counters" to get an idea what's out there, and once you've decided what you're after you can refine your search.
    If your page is hosted, there may be a script you can just use.
    Thanks.
    I cant apply those with ads because I am doing this website for my company's client. So it has to be ads free.
    For the sphider, will it has ads? can it work in an intranet? sorry that i couldnt try to install it into the server at this time cause i dont have access yet, just developing the website.
    For the Counter, there are really lots of free counter BUT all will have ads and will like it to their server. Is there any FRee code that I can put it in my webpage and server (stand alone) without refering back or connect back to the developer's server?
    If i am to develop the counter? can it be done in normal javascript without any php, cgi, asp..?
    thanks a lot a lot

Status

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Thanks.
    I cant apply those with ads because I am doing this website for my company's client. So it has to be ads free.
    For the sphider, will it has ads? can it work in an intranet? sorry that i couldnt try to install it into the server at this time cause i dont have access yet, just developing the website.
    For the Counter, there are really lots of free counter BUT all will have ads and will like it to their server. Is there any FRee code that I can put it in my webpage and server (stand alone) without refering back or connect back to the developer's server?
    If i am to develop the counter? can it be done in normal javascript without any php, cgi, asp..?
    thanks a lot a lot
    First one I found :: http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/web/cgi/javamanual/javaihit.html
    Search results (I hope) that got me there ... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=javascript+hit+counter&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8"
    Search results for internal search ... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=website+search+script&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8"
    Hope they help - Can't do better right now, I'm a bit rushed atm!

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMeatGF View Post
    First one I found :: Javascript Hit counter
    Search results (I hope) that got me there ... Google Search
    Search results for internal search ... Google Search
    Hope they help - Can't do better right now, I'm a bit rushed atm!
    Sorry, the first javascript hit counter is "how many times you visited that page". But I am looking for "how many people have visited my page".

Status

DeadMeat gave you lots of choices, not just the one. You can go through those search results as easily as we can.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more