38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. perl and mysql-compare 2 columns    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. extract, sort and compare    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. How to compare 2 string list    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Question Compare ASP, PHP, CGI and XML

I have a job to do, and very little experience in ASP, CGI, PHP, and none in XML .... I need to create a business area on a website for a business who wishes there employees to be able to access with a password, fill out a form to add new merchandise, and then have it automatically include on thier website pages for the public. It is not E-Commerce, or a database, just simply adds the new product to the existing web page. To help me get started learning more, could someone give me a quick rundown on the general uses of PHP, ASP, and what is XML for? Which would be best for a project like this? I hope this is not too big a question. I am on a very tight timeframe for learning this.

Administrator

Status
    Hiya wildflower, welcome to the forums.

Big questions! If you have a little experience of a server side language like php or asp, I would not devote a lot of time to learning xml. Its basically a way of structuring and storing data, and it isn't all its cracked up to be. plus, to be of any use you have to really start looking into xsl, JavaScript and binding of data. Not worth it when you have server-side scripting to use instead.

If time is of the essence, learn php. It opensource, free, easier syntax, and the tutorials are better.

You could probably learn to make a beta version of the system you need within a week if you started learning php now (rough guess), based on a flat file system.

Tutorials - www.php.net , www.webmonkey.com

Good luck, any questions (more specific, kind of thing) then please feel free to post.

If you need any example scripts, then just ask. (I spent a day looking for an easy way to write to the top of a file instead of the bottom...had to figure it for myself in the end )
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

Question Prewritten PHP scripts?

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your reply. Are there prewritten PHP scripts for things such as this? Is this a pretty straightforward easy project or am I looking at a complicated project? I run 15 different lake websites, along with designing other sites, and do not have a heck of a lot of time for learning, sad as it is. If I could learn something quick enough for this project now, I will make sure to take the time to learn more depth in the future.

Administrator

Status
    Sure, loadsa scripts out there -

www.hotscripts.com
    www.planet-source-code.com
    www.phpbuilder.com
    www.php.net

Have fun!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Status
    PHP is a form of CGI.

PHP is a quick language to learn and use, and there is a large community for that.

ASP is similar to PHP

ASP is PURE Object Oriented Design. ASP was a little harder to learn for me, and I didn't really find any 'community' help.

XML is not a programming language, it's just a simple way to store information.

XML is used alot in content management, to provide a layer between the data and the client, something like this:

[DATABASE] => [XML] => [PROCESSED BY LANGUAGE] => [ DELIVERED TO CLIENT]

CGI / PERL is a language I think is dying, it's slow and not really made for Web Stuff.

Hope that gives you a brief summary.

New User

Status

Dean, thank you very much

Do you have the time for a more indepth conversation? I have ICQ and AOL, if it is possible to meet you on one of those. And if it becomes necessary for me to hire a programmer due to lack of time, do you take jobs like that? I know exactly what I need this program to do, and want to use it for several of my clients, however, I have not been able to find a script for it. It needs to be straight PHP, no MYSQL. Do you have the time to talk today at all?

I appreciate your help incredibly, I have learned a lot yesterday. Just havent learned how to write it myself. Never was good at the programming.

New User

Status

Thank you Zaire

I believe it will be better to learn the PHP than anything else to begin with.

I appreciate your help.
    Wildflower

Administrator

Status
    ee. I could probably knock up a simple flatfile system, I am online tommorow from 10am onwards (GMT time) so email me your msn handle and I will contact you.