36 users online (1 members and 35 guests)  

Thread: databases

Related

1. Generating reports from databases    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Replies: 9
  3. Shopping carts and databases    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Shopping carts and databases    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  5. Changing Databases???    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

databases

hi everyone, i am sorry if this is already posted. I am new to website design, very new. I was wondering

1. when you use html to make a form where does the form go, email/database/other?

2. lets say I want it to go to a database, what can I do at the database? with my host i have PHPmyadmin... and a mysql thing, and i realize this is probably stupid, but when it gets to the database then what can I do with it.

*I am trying to make a form where users can log in to their accounts. If anyone has an "idiots guide to forms and databases, lol I would really appreciate it.

Status

Re: databases

Quote Originally Posted by mixkittyluv84 View Post
    1. when you use html to make a form where does the form go, email/database/other?
    The form executes whatever page is listed in the "action" option. For example:

Code:
    <form action="myscript.php" method="post">
    This form executes myscript.php, which can have whatever functionality you want it to have. It can update a database, send an email to someone, whatever.

2. lets say I want it to go to a database, what can I do at the database? with my host i have PHPmyadmin... and a mysql thing, and i realize this is probably stupid, but when it gets to the database then what can I do with it.
    Once you've stored it in your database, you can do a lot of different things with it. For example, retrieve and display data on a web page, use the data to generate an invoice for items purchased, etc.

*I am trying to make a form where users can log in to their accounts. If anyone has an "idiots guide to forms and databases, lol I would really appreciate it.
    The easiest way to do this, in my opinion, is to incorporate an existing script into your page. hotscripts.com has lots to choose from.

As for learning the scripting you would need to be able to understand and utilize a script like this, there are many alternatives. If you like to learn online, visit w3schools. If books are your thing, I highly recommend Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more