83 users online (0 members and 83 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 6
  2. Replies: 1
  3. scroll table within webpage    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
    New User

Status

special webpage with scroll bar

Hello ,
    I am new to the group.
    I wrote earlier but my message was taken down when I tried to show a webpage as an example.
    can anyone tell me how to create a webpage where the left hand side ALWAYS stays static as you view it and the right hand side is scrollable.
    The left hand side has some information and what is called an opt in link or opt in form and is always viewable even when the right hand side of the page is scrolled down.

Many thanks
    Pete

Status

Re: special webpage with scroll bar

Looks like your other post was removed because it linked to a spam site.

To answer your question, you can see how it is done by looking at the source code for the page. The page's code is done with frames. This is the section of code that does what you're asking about.

Code:
    <FRAMESET COLS="19%,81%" framespacing="0">
    <FRAME scrolling=no SRC="Signup.htm" NAME="left" target="_self" resize=yes noresize>
    <FRAME SRC="Main.htm" NAME="right" target="_self">

</FRAMESET>
    The left side of that page comes from a file called signup.htm. The right hand side of the page comes from a file called Main.htm.

Hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Your thread was removed due to the fluff posts you made in it. Rather than cleaning your mess up one at a time I showed the same respect you showed and removed the whole thing.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Hi V.J
    Thank you I appreciate your reply.
    I have some idea what you are referring to,but I am no expert and dont fully understand what to do.
    I managed to find by looking above the page features above, ie in file, edit, view...In View there is a list and I can select Source..
    Here it shows html in notepad..and part of this refers to the frameset that you refer to.
    it also has a bit more html than what you have shown.
    Are you suggesting IF I place this in a html editor that it will show a basic page layout with the left hand side of the static part of the page and the right hand side with a scroll bar..
    OR would one have to have the actual individual files that you refer to signup.htm" and "Main.htm" to be able to place into my html editor...
    Also I wasnt sure if the design layout ( static LHS and scroll RHS) that was used was a template rather than just use of frames in html..
    lastly would or could the design have been set up using Css ?

I tried placing the source code in to my html editor with the extra html part and without and unfortunatly I couldnt get anything to show..ie All I got was a blank page..
    IF I should be able to use the source code to create the design of the page I want , is there anything else I should do to get it to work?
    Again Many thanks in advance.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
    Looks like your other post was removed because it linked to a spam site.

To answer your question, you can see how it is done by looking at the source code for the page. The page's code is done with frames. This is the section of code that does what you're asking about.

Code:
    <FRAME scrolling=no SRC="Signup.htm" NAME="left" target="_self" resize=yes noresize>

</FRAMESET>
    The left side of that page comes from a file called signup.htm. The right hand side of the page comes from a file called Main.htm.

Hope this helps.

New User

Status

Hello Dave,
    My apologies,
    The reason was because I really wanted to show the page design that I was referring to and to try and clarify things as I didnt think my description alone may have been suitable.
    when I 1st posted my message I had included a link and I got a message saying that one couldnt show a link until they had made 5 posts.
    I was hoping for a quick reply so in order to show the link I did what I did to speed it up and show the page I referred to.
    It wasnt my intention to spam the website.
    All I wanted to do was demonstate the design of the page and how the page looked with the static part and the scroll bars.
    Best regards
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Your thread was removed due to the fluff posts you made in it. Rather than cleaning your mess up one at a time I showed the same respect you showed and removed the whole thing.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dowsp View Post
    I managed to find by looking above the page features above, ie in file, edit, view...In View there is a list and I can select Source..
    Here it shows html in notepad..and part of this refers to the frameset that you refer to.
    it also has a bit more html than what you have shown.
    That is correct. What I showed you is the bare minimum you would need to have in order for your page to be structured like the one you gave the link to.

Are you suggesting IF I place this in a html editor that it will show a basic page layout with the left hand side of the static part of the page and the right hand side with a scroll bar..
    OR would one have to have the actual individual files that you refer to signup.htm" and "Main.htm" to be able to place into my html editor...
    Yes, you need to have your page structured in the same manner as that code section that I posted. BUT .. you also need to have separate HTML files for signup.htm and Main.htm. That's how frames work. If you viewed signup.htm and Main.htm as pages unto themselves (by typing their http address into your browser's address window), you would see those as if they were separate pages. I hope I explained that right.

Also I wasnt sure if the design layout ( static LHS and scroll RHS) that was used was a template rather than just use of frames in html..
    That isn't a template. It is frames. Sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier.

lastly would or could the design have been set up using Css ?
    If you want the left hand side of the page to be fixed, CSS wouldn't do that for you. I believe you could do it with javascript, but that's getting a bit out of my area of expertise.

I tried placing the source code in to my html editor with the extra html part and without and unfortunatly I couldnt get anything to show..ie All I got was a blank page..
    Create content for signup.htm and Main.htm, and you won't get a blank page.

IF I should be able to use the source code to create the design of the page I want , is there anything else I should do to get it to work?
    Again Many thanks in advance.
    Pete
    If you do everything I said earlier, you should be good to go.

If any of this still doesn't make sense, or you need more help, feel free to ask. That's what we're here for.

New User

Status

Hi V.J
    Again I Very much appreciate your feedback.. I will try and do as you describe.
    best regrds
    Pete

New User

Status

Hello again V.J,
    Can I just check a couple more things to do with your last rely.
    I Think I almost understand most of what you have said, but I am not totally clear.
    When I tried to add the source code into an external html editor I was thinking that it may have created the basic page layout that I was looking for. when I tried entering it, I just got a blank page.
    you said I need to create 2 seperate files. You also say that if I add some html / content into the two files and that I wont get a blank page.
    Also you say if one was to look at each file you would see them as seperate pages.
    ie one would show a static LHS and the other RHS would be scrollable.
    I can follow what you say here, and I assume that the source code somehow links the two together to show it as just one page with the design that I require.
    What I am still a bit unsure about though is
    when using a external html editor, can I get the page set up I require when It is not connected to the two files by my web host browser..
    I suspect when I load it to my browser that I can imagine how it links the two files together to show on one page.
    But If I want to try and produce it on a simple html editor, this is where I am a bit unsure.. Unless you are saying that I should also include the html content for each file within the source code file on one single page of html.
    or when I refer to the files in the source code, for eg ...signup.htm or main.htm
    do I include any html for each file.. ie page sizes or what ever info is normally shown for a basic page.
    ie signup.htm
    <header></header><body></body>
    (see bold eg below)
    <FRAME scrolling=no SRC="Signup.htm"<header></header><body></body> NAME="left" target="_self" resize=yes noresize>

</FRAMESET>

As I say I think I can image that If I did create seperate pages for the two files signup and main and they were hosted that if I then created a source code file that it would link the two files to be shown as one page... BUT IF I try to create this on a html editor, I am not sure if it can be done..
    can you try and clarify if It can be done and IF so How exactly do I get the code to recognise the other two files.
    If I create the signup htm file to be static and have NO scroll , I am not sure How I write the html on this specific file.
    When I normally create a standard page in an editor, as I recall It also has a scroll bar on the RHS.
    thanks in advance
    Pete
    ---------------------------------------
    Ref below

In the frame html where it refers to two seperate files.. you said : I need to create html for the two files ...

Create content for signup.htm and Main.htm, and you won't get a blank page.

Yes, you need to have your page structured in the same manner as that code section that I posted. BUT .. you also need to have separate HTML files for signup.htm and Main.htm. That's how frames work. If you viewed signup.htm and Main.htm as pages unto themselves (by typing their http address into your browser's address window), you would see those as if they were separate pages. I hope I explained that right.

Status

I think I'm probably confusing you more than helping.

Read a frames tutorial like this one so you can understand how they work. Then you'll know what you need to build your page like you want it.