50 users online (1 members and 49 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
    New User

Status

New domain hosting question

I hope this doesn’t sound too redundant. I will explain as I go. I have had a site up for a few years. And now I need to redo the site and I am buying a new domain for it as well. Over the last 4 years or so, I only updated my site and didn’t pay much attention to hosting. I had a good deal at the time I got it. But as I look around now I find things seem to have changed a bit and I seem to be lost as to what’s a good deal now. My current host is bgf web hosting but they are not matching up to some of the other hosting I see out there. Now, the new site will not be a big traffic getter right now but, I would like input from you out here as to what would be a better midrange hosting company. I have not even registered my domain as of yet but will be doing that in a week or so. For my hosting I know I need ftp access, a decent control panel and a nice bit of storage and since I will be store a few……….. well a lot of files I need a good monthly transfer quota. But I want to keep it a low monthly or yearly price also.
    Also, is there a big difference in where I register my domain. I mean like 1and1 is cheap and godaddy is a bit higher. Does it matter much? Or just go with the lower price and get the same basic plan.
    I am even playing with the idea of hosting it on my computer if I can do so.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Status

Re: New domain hosting question

I don't know if this will help you or not, but here's how I've gone about finding a new web host when I've had to do it. First, I make a list of features that I want for my account. This list includes not just disk space and bandwidth, but number of email accounts, type of control panel, whether they offer phone support or just email support, hours support is offered (not all hosts offer 24/7 support!), setup fee, etc. Search enough hosting sites and you'll see the pretty much same features list. Note: We're not talking about how much anything costs or how much of a particular feature, or if they offer a feature at all. We're talking just a list of features.

From there, I look at hosting search and review sites, get recommendations from other people, including forums such as this one. When I've selected a few to check out, I try to seek out a few independent reviews. For that, I try to avoid testimonials from the host's website. Through Google, I've found people who have a link on their site (hosted by XYZ Company, for texample), then contact them and ask them about their hosting experience. A lot of people are willing to take a couple of minutes to tell you what they like or don't like and whether or not they would recommend their web host.

As for registering the domain, the only thing I personally recommend is that you register the domain yourself. Don't rely on your hosting company to do that for you, the reason being that if you ever get into a dispute with them and/or decide to host your site elsewhere, they could hold your domain hostage and make life generally difficult for you. Certainly, not all hosting companies do this but it isn't worth the risk.

If this sounds like a lot of work, it is. However, making certain you've made a good choice is well worth the effort.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Judging from the host you use now and those on your list I am assuming it is a personal and not a business site?
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

I just noticed bgf has been sold to assortedinternet

New User

Status

It is gonna be a business site. I am moving into pc sales and service as a full time job rather than just a hobby. Over the last couple years I have avg around $1000.00 a week as a hobby. Now I am planning to take my main job part time and really try to build this into something. Been working on my search ranking and I am up to number 1 to 4 in google and yahoo and most other search engins also getting a dcent amount of work from adwords. My current site deadonthehead com is my music hobby and computer repair but I want to seperate them now. Been redoing the site but I really need to move it to it's own domain.Making small steps that I hope will ad up by years end.
    Just it's been so long since I have done anything as far as changeing host's or domains I just wanted to see what route you people thought I needed to look at.

Administrator

Status

V-J gave excellent advice in keeping your domain name and hosting seperate. I cannot give advice on who to get the domain from though as nobody is as good as me

In regards to the hosting, those on your list are budget hosts and not professional grade hosts.

Here are some hosts that I myself would not be afraid to host a business site with.

futurequest
    pair
    axishost
    hostcaters

Disabled

Status

HTML (Administrator) is right.