132 users online (0 members and 132 guests)  

1. Replies: 3
  2. Frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. frames help    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. frames HELP-please?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  5. Frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

resetting frames

I am new to JavaScript and HTML. I am writing a server application that communicates with a browser. I have the basic communication working OK. The server starts off by giving the browser a frameset. Later, the server will want to modify that frameset many times. Note that this is an application where the browser is communicating only with a specific server. The user of the browser will never link to another server or website.
    The problem is that once I have specified a frameset, I can't find a way to unload the frameset conveniently. I have found a javascript that resets the frameset, but I have not found a way to force the browser to come back to the server with a GET or POST action after the javascript has been executed. I do not want to send a URL to the browser from within the javascript. I do not want to embed URLs inside the server code. What I am currently doing is below (sorry for the format). However, this doesn't work. The idea is to have the javascript unload the current frameset and then have the browser use the new frameset which follows the javascript. This all has to be done in one HTML file because otherwise I will have to embed a URL from within the server software, which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
    if (window != window.top) top.location.href = location.href;
    <FRAMESET rows="6%,94%">
    <FRAME name=\"main_buttons\" src=\"main_buttons\" scrolling=\"no\" marginwidth=\"0\" marginheight=\"0\" frameborder=\"1\">
    <FRAME name=\"main_gui\" scrolling=\"no\" marginwidth=\"0\" marginheight=\"0\" frameborder=\"1\">
    Last edited by vinyl-junkie; 03-30-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added code tags