40 users online (0 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. Website wont display in firefox    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Wont display properly in Firefox    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 7
  4. formatting html mail properly for small size    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Predictions for 2003    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Unhappy FrontPage 2003 HTML won't display properly in Firefox

Unlike the recent similarly named thread this one is more a user skills / knowledge issue than an "interesting problem". However, I get to be that user who has blissfully sailed along in an IE6 world, disliked what happened when I put IE7 on so went to Firefox (with IE6 as a back-up).

Lo and behold I find a web site I have had published for ages displays very poorly in Firefox but is exactly how I expect it in IE6. This is www.hunterdogs.org. Basically, the Flash file and a few of the pictures are not displayed and other stuff is moved around a bit.

I have been looking at what my various "mistakes" are (given how I have been so aptly guided by our Redmond friends I don't know if I can lay claim to all the mistakes!). I see I need a DOCTYPE and have been busily guessing which one it might be and none of them seem to do anything but make it worse - particularly the iframes get moved around - like up the top left corner.

When I do the WDC compatibility check I get heaps of errors, I fixed a couple up by renaming files to not start with numbers but have basically stopped due to the DOCTYPE thing proving to be a flop (so far, I know I need to get there...)

I am not looking to get the whole solution to this mess sorted, but it would be nice if someone could give me a hint re how to sensibly approach this - I guess it is not as if FP won't have lead a lot down this path before me, probably most of them are blissfully ignorant of the stuff up you get by applying the scant knowledge one gleans when messing about with hobbies.

Thank you.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: FrontPage 2003 HTML won't display properly in Firefox

Let us know the url so somebody can lend a hand.

D
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

it is in the text, need 5 posts to make it hyperlink.

www.hunterdogs.org

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

While you do have HTML errors which will need to be addressed, it seems like the firefox problem is probably going to be a css positioning issue.
    I am moving the thread to CSS, but to be honest your code is extremely complicated and may require some paid help.

D
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

I guess it is as simple as this is a hobby site and the quality of it is going to be limited by the skills of the person currently volunteering to do it, me! So paid help is not on the radar.

It is not as complicated as it looks, and the problem is demonstrable on some of the simpler pages, like:

http://www.hunterdogs.org/Technical%20Info.htm

In the above example the main part of the menu header is missing in Firefox across the middle at the top, yet it displays correctly in ie6. However in http://validator.w3.org/ it scores pretty badly too!

The home page started as a simple collection of images / text boxes, then I figured out how to do the flash thingy that happens when you click on the Click Here bike. But this, the images towards the top and a couple of other images don't display in Firefox.

I have cobbled together a few scripts for other pages initially via Fantastico then Sourceforge as I figured what is going on, then learnt how to display some of them on the home page using 1 line iframe, pretty cool I thought! These all seem to display OK in Firefox, although not in the exactly correct alignment.

And then I came across a script to change the mouse cursor to a trailing logo which still works, although if I put a DOCTYPE line in it gets trapped at the top and moves horizontally only.

Just sticking with the simpler pages, and not getting confused by the apparent complexity I have added to the home page, the solution will depend on where Front Page 2003 is in relation to W3C standards, and that is the angle it needs to be approached from, rather than trying to go round and solve each of the many errors FP has assisted me to generate, as I will only undoubtedly just go and unwittingly stuff it up again unless I know how to take an FP generated page and have it work across browser platforms.

I was kinda hoping the whole FP to wider community issue would be a well understood situation I may find some guidance here on, rather than getting too caught up in the devilery of the detail, although ultimately that may be the answer. However, before I would consider ditching FP I would like to say it has a lot of very useful and convenient features and, whilst being all in favour of proper standards, I would not want to jump there too quickly if it means ditching FP. For now, I have added a note to the foot of the main page. I hope to be able to delete it soon by removing the core problem, any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Status

Most WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage generate terrible code when you try to build pages using design view. There are ways of cleaning up the code, but you still may have to resort to some manual cleanup to get everything the way you want it.

I did a little Googling on your behalf and found this page, which might be of some help to you. Hope you'll find it useful.

You're on the right track with trying to validate the pages. Don't give up on that, because many times, display problems are corrected by simply writing well-formed and valid code.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more