37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

View Poll Results: I have unknowingly been hijacked by Gator...

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware and did not find Gator on my system at all

248 22.26%
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware 1 time and did find Gator

146 13.11%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and rarely find Gator on my computer

84 7.54%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and find Gator almost everytime has infected my computer

636 57.09%

Thread: Delete Gator

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Related

1. how to delete duplicate row fom table    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 0
  2. cant delete/add my schools    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Confirmation box before delete    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Delete Gator

I have started a new thread on this topic, the original is still at http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...=&threadid=663 and http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...3&pagenumber=2

My reason for beginning a new thread was to add a poll in order to get a grasp of how wide spread this problem of scum Gator theftware actually is.

I also posted important information on deleting Gator in the previous thread, I will C&P that post into this thread also.

Dave Bailey
    Last edited by HTML; 07-07-2002 at 11:35 AM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Since Google has seen fit to rank this as a relevant resource to discuss the ***ware Gator, I wanted to update this thread in order to make things easier for the hundreds of people who have and will view it. To those that are new to AHFB I invite you to register and share your Gator horror stories.

This is for those that have not intentionally installed Gator

checking your system for Gator and its components/delete gator Keep in mind that uninstalling gator is not as easy as using the add/remove or uninstall function. To fully remove Gator please download spybot search and destroy.

This is for those that have knowingly installed Gator for its password/form filling capabilities

Install Roboform Roboform is a free utility that fully respects not only the right of webmasters, but the consumers right to not have popups as well as the privacy of its users. I fully endorse the use of this product as have many many others. Here is a direct link to download Roboform (you will not leave this page)

Transfer Gator data to Roboform
    1. If you have a Gator password, remove it first: in Gator settings click Remove in the Gator Password section. When Gator asks for a password, type it in and click OK.

2. Export your Gator data to a file with a GAT extension: in Gator settings click Export in User Information section. When "Save As" windows appears, type in the name of your file. Save this file into a folder where you can easily find it, for instance, into "My Documents" folder.

3. Click this link: GatorToRoboForm converter When the "File Download" dialog comes up, select "Run the program from its current location" and click OK. If you are using IE6, click the "Open" button instead. When the "Security Warning" dialog comes up, click "Yes".
    * Click the Browse button in the Converter and select the file that you saved in step 2.
    * Click the Convert button and your data will be converted. Check the conversion log for error messages.

4. Select More. Refresh in the RoboForm toolbar and RoboForm will load the converted Passcards and Identities.

Password Protection. All Identities and Passcards converted from Gator are initially not password-protected. If you want to password-protect them, open the "More. Options. User Data" dialog, click the "Set Master Password, Mass-Protect/Unprotect" button, click the "Protect All" radio button, type in your new Master Password and click OK. All your Passcards and Identities will be password-protected by new Master Password.

Login URLs. Gator does not store the URL of the login page, so the GoTo, Go&Fill and Login commands will bring you to the front page of the web site, not to the login page. You will need to re-save these Passcards as RoboForm Passcards in order to make GoFill/Login work correctly:
    - Go to the login page of a web site for which you have Gator passcard.
    - RoboForm's AutoFill dialog will offer to fill forms from Gator passcard. Click "Fill Forms" and your login info will be filled. You can also use Gator to fill login info.
    - Remove Gator passcard from which login info was filled: in the Passcard Editor click the Del button and confirm.
    - Click the Submit button on web page and RoboForm's AutoSave dialog will come up. Name your new passcard and click "Save Forms". The newly save passcard will have URL of the login page saved.
    - Repeat the above steps for all Passcards converted from Gator
    Last edited by HTML; 02-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.

New User

Status
    Could someone give a brief explanation of what `gator` actually is.
    Thanks

Administrator

Status

Gator is a free download of software which logs and reports your surfing habits, while it is watching over what you do on the net it is paying close attention to particular keywords on searches or in the webpage content. For instance if you went to my domain name page, you would probably get a popup trying to get you buy from them instead. I do not know if they still do, but there was a time when they would overlay banners on top of the websites banners stealing visitors and commissions. This software is put on your system under the quise of being a password/credit card keeper. Do not get me wrong this software does what it says, but they had to find someway to get this on peoples systems.

They were doing fine infecting millions of systems with this ***ware/*****ware, then they got greedy. If I go to check my mail at everyone.net almost everytime It will auto-download onto my system.

Gator is but one of the dozens of types of ***ware and *****ware that imo are running the internet into the ground, there are others like Ezula, Morpheus / WurldMedia and others.

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 10-24-2003 at 06:55 AM.

New User

Status
    Thanks dave.
    I must be really lucky because I have not had any bother yet from gator.
    I do have adaware and run it frequently

Administrator

Status

Adaware has a new ref file so be sure to get the update.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    Thanks, on my way now

Status
    That poll needs another category:

I have never run Adware and don't think I have Gator.

Administrator

Status

Or I could just call it "victims"

D

Status
    If it's there, then my ZoneAlarm firewall is not working - I don't even activate Active-X until I need it to get the latest Microsoft updates.

Administrator

Status

It would make a great experiment to run adaware and see if what you are doing is succesful, could be something we could all learn from

D

Status
    Yeah, but what's the assurance the adware itself isn't going to mess things up.

My philosphy is always, Don't fix what ain't broke.

I'll have to see it being used on someone else's computer before taking a chance on it here - or I could try it just before the next time I decide to reformat my C drive to clean out all the other crap in it now from previous installs and partial-uninstalls.

P.S.
    And unless the program can point to exactly what and where something was on my computer that wasn't supposed to be there, who's to say it isn't just reporting false positives (like a lot of shabby virusware) just to get people to buy it. And, and, with having to have the Windows operating itself resident on my computer, there aren't many other security concerns more serious than what it allows as part of its design - I'm always being surprised by what new configurations become resident on my computer without my doing anything other than install new "windows approved" programs.
    Last edited by benzden; 11-14-2002 at 06:57 PM.

Administrator

Status

Adaware, will find all(most of) of the spyware point out what it is exactly and give you the option to continue, you may also set certain files to be excluded from the spyware database for your machine, I have my adaware set to ignore the Alexa on my computer. I use Alexa, I feel that the little privacy I give up is worth the benefits of the program.

I am aware fo some programs which do give many false positives, some that remove files which should never have been touched. I am not aware of amy problems Adaware has ever had with this.

Honestly my feelings towards the company and what I understand they have done to employees leaves much to be desired for them as a whole, but the software is great.

I would love to find a GOOD program which I could suggest , that actually pays me a bit for the promotion. For know I have to accept promoting a software for free because it is what I am the most comfortable putting my name behind.

New User

Status
    Dave,

Add-ware did identify 20 or so Gator files but did not clean up the files as stated as the message stated they were read only files. Please advise! I shutdown everything that could be using these files including GMT before running Add-ware. Again how do I delete these files if they are protected from deletion ???

Dave D.

Administrator

Status

Hey corvette, welcome to the forums

It is possibl that they went and changed the software so that adaware will not work, but I am not aware of this. I will check into it later today, this morning I am having some family time . I would not worry too much if this is actually the case, adaware puts out a new ref file every so often, this is needed to keep up with all of the new spyware and theftware that are hitting now days. There was one particular spyware company that actually did writew into its script so adaware could not touch it, I think it may have even disabled adaware all together. This did not last long, a few days later adaware changed a couple lines of coding and shut that idea down.

Like I said, I will check into it later today and post what I find. In the mean time try rebooting your computer, this time leaving all gator files as default(do not shut it down), run adawareagain and let me know what happens.

Dave

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last