69 users online (0 members and 69 guests)  

View Poll Results: I have unknowingly been hijacked by Gator...

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware and did not find Gator on my system at all

248 22.26%
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware 1 time and did find Gator

146 13.11%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and rarely find Gator on my computer

84 7.54%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and find Gator almost everytime has infected my computer

636 57.09%

Thread: Delete Gator

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last

Related

1. how to delete duplicate row fom table    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 0
  2. cant delete/add my schools    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Confirmation box before delete    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4

Status
    Did you get the latest, updated version and new ref file?

I've used adaware for over a year with no bad effects and it does clean it out...I've cleaned Gator out a number of times...everytime some sneaky site puts it on there!

Try looking at your settings (configurations), that could be the problem.

BTW, you can save what it deletes to a log file in case it is something you may have wanted to keep.

nitewing
    Last edited by nitewing; 11-16-2002 at 01:11 PM.
    Ann/nitewing

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I checked around the adaware website and forums, it seems they are not aware of any problem with the gator removal. If you have tried to remove it as I told you above and it still is not working let me know. Also if you can take screenshots of what it is saying it may be helpful to them in solving the problem.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    You can also boot in safe mode and check with adaware...it should delete them then.

Be sure to save to a log file in case there is something deleted you want to keep.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    Isn't the log file just keeping a record of the files (maybe including paths where they resided) being removed?

One would still have to have a copy of the actual files resident somewhere, right?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Yes you are correct.

By configuring adaware to run in safe mode, you will be prompted after the scan, before anything is removed, showing all the files and where the files are from (gator, ezula, doubleclick etc.) this way you are not deleting anything you do not want to.

Before hitting delete, look atthe list of files, what you do not want to delete, check the box next to the file you do not want deleted, and check "exclude". From that point on when adaware is run and it finds files in the exclude list, it will ignore them and not even add them to the bad files found.

Dave

Administrator

Status

also forgot to mention, once the scan is complete and you are now where you can place files in the exclude list or remove bad files, there is a third option to check questionable files and then click the backup button if you are just not sure.

So just by running adaware does not mean anything will be deleted, it will show you the list of files it detects and you decide what if anything to do with them. Of course this is dependent on your configuration (which is VERY simple)

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 11-17-2002 at 11:15 AM.

Status
    OOOPS, meant to say back up instead of log...DUH, thanks for clearing that up, Dave.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    I have the RegCleanr program that does pretty much the same thing with the Windows Registry. Only problem is:

I don't have the slightest idea what many of the entries are for or whether they are truely needed or not. The people who create these damn entries don't name them in a way that anyone could understand them later.

I figure the same would go for this Ad-Aware program regarding the file names it discovers, but I'll download and give it a test - mindful that my 'usual' best overall strategy is just to reformat the damn C drive every now and then to both clean-up the registry AND the megabytes of unneeded files therein -- doubly mindful that that process still leaves the new C drive full of unneeded and useless Windows files.

(I was a lot more comfortable with the old DOS platform - expecially being able to DEBUG and view the innerds to see what's happening every now and then. It now takes a great leap of faith and 'who cares what happens next' attitude and repartitioning the hard drive to place "important" files in other than the C drive to operate with Windows every day --- but Windows 98 is still a fantastically more efficient method of operating than those good old days.)

Status
    Yep, booting the computer in safe mode, running adaware and selecting the files to delete should take care of the problem.

B., Ive found searching around the net you can find anything you want to know...even what those reg entries are. Just type them into google and give it a shot.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    There are several hundred entries in question - don't have time for that many searches.

Most of the reg entries are left by inefficient uninstall programs associated with programs that proved to be just as inefficient - the problem being that the entry isn't 'obviously' associated with anything having to do with the name of the program that was uninstalled.

Status
    If you use norton you could have it clean up your reg for you. Getting rid of entries that are left behind, etc. I use it often.

Norton system works is the one I have.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    Does it prompt first to make sure you want to delete the entries (regCleanr does that) or does it just delete all those that it knows are unneeded?

(The problem is answering the prompt - how the hades do I know what's needed or not - that's what I want the cleaning program to decide.)

New User

Status

gator help

Glad I found you dave. Been riddled about getting rid of this CMEsys thing in my "close Program" window. I really want to get rid of this gator thing and don't remember how or why I downloaded it in the first place. You say we should downlaod the software you have that gets rid of it. May I ask what this program is and why I need a program installed to get rid of gator? does it just block gator from being active, or is it an actual program that deletes it all together? what else does this program do once gator is gone?

thanks hate to be so skeptical, but.. well yea know..

New User

Status
    guess I should have read all the posts before I asked what the program does. It's a program that deletes other programs that are set up to be uninstallable? yea I know I'm not a computer wiz.. I've been needing a program like this. I have a million things installed that I don't need and they never seem to be in the add/remove programs window. I'm downloading ad-ware 5.83 now.. thx..

I have scanned my comp with ad-aware and all the gator entries popped up. I deleted them, then went to my program files and saw that CMEll and GMT were still there. I tried deleting these 2 gator folders and recycle bin said that the "eglEEngine.dll" and "EGIEProcess.dll" in the GMT folder could not be deleted because they were still in use. They do not show in my "close Program" window (i.e. alt-ctl-del) though. Did I do somthing wrong or is there a different way to get rid of these gator .dll's?? thanks again. I hate to spam, especially when I'm a new member to a forum knowing what this gator prog. is now makes me really want it off my sys.
    thx again
    Last edited by synthad1; 11-18-2002 at 01:28 PM.

Status
    Yesterday I was viewing people's websites from the "show it off" forum. Amandasdollz site had this "Comet Curor" software message that kept coming up as necessary to properly view the page. After about the fourth time it came up, I did install it, and it changes the cursors, however, both adware and spyware identify these components as "infections" of some kind.

Is this "Comet Cursor" somehow related to this Gator thing, or is this a shortsight of the adware and spyware programs, or something else?

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last