45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

View Poll Results: I have unknowingly been hijacked by Gator...

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware and did not find Gator on my system at all

248 22.26%
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware 1 time and did find Gator

146 13.11%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and rarely find Gator on my computer

84 7.54%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and find Gator almost everytime has infected my computer

636 57.09%

Thread: Delete Gator

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Related

1. how to delete duplicate row fom table    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 0
  2. cant delete/add my schools    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Confirmation box before delete    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    Super Newbie

Status
    sygate's firewall free? i've been using zonealarm, not sure how good it is.

Status
    Zone alarm is pretty good, I heard some pros and cons about it...perfer sygate myself.
    let's you know immediately if anything is even trying to scan your computer.
    Ann/nitewing

Super Newbie

Status
    would u be so kind as to pass me the download link or sygate's url please? thanks in advance

Status
    Sure,

Here it is...

The pro is not free but the reg is.

http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    Hi all,

I've found something that is supposed to prevent drivebys...spywareblaster!!

Just downloaded it and now I feel fairly safe...this is another one that is updated as know problems (spyware) is found.

This is not a cleaner...it is a preventer! I like that a lot better.

www.wilderssecurity.com/spywareblaster.html

Ann/nitewing

Status
    I just cleaned my hard drive of programs I hadn't used in a year or more - some of those programs were trying to get through my filewall every 5 minutes of the day, thereby increasing the size of the audit trailing log file by a factor of 4 or 5. One or more was also causing 'blue screens' (mine are actually black when exiting from DOS mode) far too often.
    (The programs are still located on another partition but, as far as Windows knows, they don't exist. I can re-access some via direct click on their primary .exe file - a preferred method for those I hardly ever use but want around just in case a dire need arises.)

I no longer trust any of these damn programs that are "supposed" to help us - especially those that automatically install their icons in my taskbar, start menu or start-up folder.

Some day, when their time consuming features are announced in advance, I may go back to installing some of them.

Status
    Everyone to their own opinions..
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    It's more a matter of daily computer efficiency - since uninstalling yesterday, my computer is running much faster and without delays between applications. I suspect one of the culprits was a sierra.com Hoyle Card games program I installed more than a year ago and hardly ever used - it taking forever to load.

And, that's aside from all the problems what were happening inside various other programs that seem to have disappeared, also.

New User

Status
    I use adaware and run it about once every week or so, when I first used it, it did find alot of junk and a Gator file was found, but since then I havent found any instances of it. I suppose it depends on what software you install and what types of sites you visit.
    Last edited by creative666; 04-09-2003 at 12:35 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    adaware is not what it used to be, and most scumware companies do a fairly good job of working around this stuff with a quick rewrite of the code and updating your version on your computer. With spybot search and destroy, you can just click the "online" button and search for a new update. Spybot has been pretty good at keeping up with new scumware as well as the newer versions of existing.

dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Okay, so I ran Adaware yesterday and again today and just discovered this on my computer:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\PdpPlugin.dll v4.0.9.4
    starts Fri Apr 25 12:25:50 2003
    (Loaded by C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE v5.0.242.52)

ATTACH PdpPlugin 0x01E40000
    DllUnregisterServer()
    Waiting for log threads to complete...
    DETACH PdpPlugin 0x01E40000

Log closes Fri Apr 25 12:25:50 2003

If IE is downloading the damn thing on its own (?all of a sudden or triggered by something within its code? - it not having done something like this for the past 3 months) then what hope is there of ever getting rid of it.

I usually know when there's something on my computer I didn't authorize when my ZoneAlarm log file begins filling up on an almost hourly basis. I deleted a lot of permission within ZoneAlarm, including those to Net2Phone and Windows Update Manager and have not seen the log file growing so quickly for the rest of the day.

Is there anyone out there considering a class action lawsuit against these people who are placing things in our computers (other than in the browser cache) WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION or, as is more likely, is there something hidden in those various disclaimer files no one has time to read that allows this sort of crap?

New User

Status
    Hi Guys!!

I am new here and this is my first post. I have been trying to delete Gator off of my computer for a while. I have run Adaware and the file is stuck. It says that it is quarantined - but it is still on my computer. I can not get it off at all. I have tried doing a search and deleteing it but I can not do that either because it says it is running. Is there anyway that you can get rid of it once it is on your system?

Thanks for you help.

Mike
    Albion Armorers

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Times have changed and so has adaware, you should try using "spybot search and destroy"

Dave

New User

Status
    Hi Dave~

Thank you for your help. I ran Spybot and it did not take it off either. I finally won the battle though. Everytime I went to delete it - it came up with in use and can not be deleted. I went into the folder as far as I could. then when I tried to access the last file it said that I did not have access to it. I went into properties and the security tab. It had everyone denied. I set that up where i could get into the folder. Then just deleted everything inside and backed my way out deleteing everything.

WON THE BATTLE AND GOT THE DARN THING DELETED!!! I just wanted to let you all know incase you have a problem getting rid of it completely. This may help one of you. Thanks for all your help guys!!! This is a great place!!!

Mike
    Albion Armorers
    New Glarus, WI

Administrator

Status

I have seen it before, where deleting certain items will render spybot or adaware ineffective. In these cases the folks have reinstalled the spyware and then uninstalled with the spyware removers.

dave

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last