48 users online (1 members and 47 guests)  

View Poll Results: I have unknowingly been hijacked by Gator...

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware and did not find Gator on my system at all

248 22.26%
  • I have run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware 1 time and did find Gator

146 13.11%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and rarely find Gator on my computer

84 7.54%
  • I run Spybot search and destroy or Adaware frequently and find Gator almost everytime has infected my computer

636 57.09%

Thread: Delete Gator

Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8

Related

1. how to delete duplicate row fom table    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 0
  2. cant delete/add my schools    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Confirmation box before delete    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    New User

Status
    Hey there, I'm new to this forum. Found you's when I searched for Gator Removal techniques. I'm a certified tech, and a client is using Norton antivirus, although it is detecting Gator as being a virus, it is not deleting it. I have my own opinions about Norton and am not about to discuss them in this post. However, I read about the promoting of spybot search and destroy. I think it should be forewarned that spybot is a dangerous tool, if a un-warned inexperienced user got hold of it, they could completely chew up their whole system. Although the program is rather thorough it does 'detect' a lot of IMPORTANT things as spyware that should NOT be removed from your system.
    I like spysweeper for a novice user, it's very thorough and does a very good job. Kicks Adaware in the ass bigtime. For those of you more experienced try Pest Patrol, but be careful.
    It needs to be stressed that you DO get informed of what these programs find, and you DO get the option of which ones you want to get rid of. You also have the option of quarantining or deleting. If you are unsure of a file, quarantine it, you can always at least go back in and restore it to it's original placement in the event it's something your system needs and SCREAMS for on reboot or upon program launch.
    Just my two cents.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Welcome to the forums Jade

Maybe you can fill me in on what Spybot detects that it should not. I have been running it since its inception and have never seen it find something that it should not.

Spy Sweeper seems to have come a long way. What once was known for its inability to detect most anything has now become PCMagazines Editors Choice(with Spybot running right behind)

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Jade??

Could you please answer my question above?

I believe Jade is gone and only did a hit and run, if so I will have to classify the post as spam and remove the name of the company.

New User

Status
    Wow, someone goes against something YOU always run and the thread turns into 20 questions about why I don't like your spybot? It's CRAP, that's why, it is NOT beginner user friendly for one, for 2 it's been known to eat many important system files. I am part of a very huge community online, and we frequently talk about different spyware programs and try new ones. Spybot is NOT high on the list among our users because of its unpredictability. This community is made up of various types of people, from new illiterate computer users, to the very seasoned computer professionals, business owners, programmers etc. If it works for you great, if not well, that's upto us. I don't think any user should be accused of 'hit and run spamming' when the thread was posted to help other users and inform them of a better program. Yet apparently Dave here has a problem with people's opinions and experience. So tell me dave, spam is usually done for personal gain. What exactly do you think I would gain by telling people about the BPS program? Afraid they'll try it and like it better than your spybot crap? Like really, this is a forum, freedom of speech, it's a right. NO rules were broken, it was merely information for those wanting a GOOD spyware program amongst other things that are bundled in with it. Can really make one wonder what your gain is Dave, pushing your spybot crap so hard on folks?? hmmm??? Go ahead and delete me, could really care less after all of this. Nice way to treat a new user, aren't you just a gem. Many forums out there, definately don't need to be part of this one.

Administrator

Status

Quite a rant for somebody who was treated with nothing but respect
    Welcome to the forums Jade

Maybe you can fill me in on what Spybot detects that it should not. I have been running it since its inception and have never seen it find something that it should not.

Spy Sweeper seems to have come a long way. What once was known for its inability to detect most anything has now become PCMagazines Editors Choice(with Spybot running right behind)

Dave
    Do you think it may have been more productive to answer the question that was nicely asked? To get so defensive must make one question why.

Why do you think I would ban you, because you acted like a child? So be it, that is a reflection on you not me. Again I ask (and again I ask nicely) "Maybe you can fill me in on what Spybot detects that it should not. I have been running it since its inception and have never seen it find something that it should not." I am not the end all be all authority on software, I learn everyday still. I am asking for you to educate me on what I may be missing.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Well I guess the silence speaks for itself.

D

New User

Status

I am a Newbie

OFF TOPIC
    Last edited by HTML; 12-01-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Status

Re: Delete Gator

Welcome to the forum, A better world!

Sorry to hear that this site has hurt your business. Have you reported them to Google?
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Administrator

Status

I cannot help but think that you did something drastically wrong when doing the spam report. I mean for you to think this has anything at all to do with the thread "Delete Gator" I can only assume you put forth the same effort in reporting the spam as you did in finding the most appropriate place to make your post.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

As I said I'm a NEWBIE at this, I wasn't sure where to post, ?

I did use http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

But they don't seem to do anything ?

Ahhh well thats life these days I guess, nobody seems bothered, its all about money.

And yes Dave, I help people EVERY day, its part of my job :-) I do a LOT of charity work

Status

Quote Originally Posted by A better world
    I did use http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html
    But they don't seem to do anything ?
    How long ago did you report them? Google moves at glacial speed, so I wouldn't expect them to respond within a week or two, or even possibly a month. Give it time, and they will deal with this site.

Dave, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Webmaster Ethics forum is as good a place as any for what this person is complaining about, although they probably should have started a new thread. Perhaps you could move all these posts to a new thread?

<edit>
    Never mind. I guess he removed his original comment. Too bad.
    </edit>
    Last edited by vinyl-junkie; 12-01-2005 at 08:27 AM.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Administrator

Status

The post would fit well in both "Webmaster Ethics" or "Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum". Normally I would just move it, sometimes I may choose to just take the lazy way out like the poster did.

May I also suggest to the poster to read the announcement titled "Read befiore posting" located at the top of every one of the forums http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...ement.php?f=27

In regards to the comments of helping others "Have you helped someone today" is the text of my signature and in no way is pointed towards any one individual.

D
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8