39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Thread: phishing

New User

Status

phishing

Hello,
    I am a new member. I am NOT sure which section if any that I should post this to on this site.. I hope its ok to post it and maybe someone can advise me..
    I have recently created a website after being given some guidence... I have been informed that my website is being
    stated as a phishing site.
    For me To recify this I was told to update to either IE6 latest toolbar or IE7 which have a phishing facility to allow anyone to report the website to microsoft.
    I am presently still using IE6 with toolbar updATE AS i dont like the look of the new IE 7 browswer.. I am happy with the IE 6 version..
    I read up about what to do about it and I found out that as a webmaster that I should be able to click on a facility
    to inform microsoft to ask if they can certify that my site is ok and safe to use..there is also a facilty for visitors to the site so that they can report the site.
    THIS is according to the instructions on my IE 6 toolbar philshing facilty..
    When I look to select the option for me to report my own website however there is ONLY ONE option and that is to
    a facility for others to report the site and there is NO facility for me as the webmaster to ask microsoft to certify it ok.
    I dont know if I should report my own site as just a visitor rather than the webmaster.
    I assume that to find the option to report my own site as a webmaster, that it must ONLY be on IE7..
    Id appreciate if anyone can advise me what best to do or if i should report my own site. maybe this will work just as well as me reporting my own and asking MS to certify it ok..
    thks in advance

below is some info from the philshing filter,
    but some of what is shown doesnt seem to comply on the IE6 tool bar..
    Pete

here it only offers one option..
    I think this is a phishing website and NOT an option for a webmaster to inform Microsoft that its not a phisihing site....
    Phishing websites impersonate trustworthy websites for the purpose of obtaining your personal or financial information.
    You can help us evaluate this website by letting us know whether you think it is a phishing website.

Website you are reporting:
    http://www. - - - - .com

Language used on the website:
    Afrikaans Albanian Arabic Armenian Azeri Basque Belarusian Bulgarian Catalan Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Croatian Czech Danish Divehi Dutch English Estonian Faroese Finnish French Galician Georgian German Greek Gujarati Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Icelandic Indonesian Italian Japanese Kannada Kazakh Kiswahili Konkani Korean Kyrgyz Latvian Lithuanian Macedonian (FYROM) Malay Marathi Mongolian Norwegian Persian Polish Portuguese Punjabi Romanian Russian Sanskrit Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Syriac Tamil Tatar Telugu Thai Turkish Ukrainian Urdu Uzbek Vietnamese

I think this is a phishing website

here is a FAQ related to what I am asking, but again some of this doesnt apply to IE6 toolbar update.....
    If I am a Web site owner, how do I correct a warning or a block on my legitimate site? A.You can immediately submit a request for a correction. Microsoft Phishing Filter has a built-in, Web-based feedback system in place to help customers and Web site owners report any potential false warnings or blocks as quickly as possible. In Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Live Toolbar, from a yellow warning, click Report this site as safe or from a red warning, click Report that this is not a phishing website. This will take you to a feedback page where you can indicate you are a site owner or representative. Follow the instructions and provide the information on this site to submit a site for review.
    Once a dispute is submitted, a team of graders inspects the site in question. All disputes should be submitted through the Web site reporting process to ensure the quickest resolution.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

About Microsoft Phishing Filter

Microsoft Phishing Filter warns against and helps block websites that may use a phishing (The act of trying to use deceptive and fraudulent websites and e-mail to obtain sensitive personal information, such as personal passwords or financial data.) scam to try to steal your personal data. Phishing Filter scans web pages you visit and checks to see whether they're suspicious or have been reported as phishing websites.
    Phishing Filter uses three methods to help protect you against phishing scams:
    • It compares the address of the website you're browsing against a list of websites that are reported to Microsoft as legitimate. This list is stored on your computer.
    • It analyzes the websites that you visit to see whether they have any characteristics common to a phishing website and alerts you if these characteristics appear.
    • It automatically compares the website address against a frequently updated list on the Microsoft servers of reported phishing websites. Phishing Filter sends website addresses to Microsoft when Phishing Filter is turned on.

Phishing Filter has two warning levels:
    • Neutral The Neutral icon indicates that Phishing Filter is active.
    • Warning When the Warning shield appears, the following message is displayed in a pop-up dialog: "Suspicious website".
      Phishing Filter has determined that the website contains characteristics of phishing websites. The website may be legitimate, but you should not submit any personal or financial information to it unless you're certain that the website is trustworthy.
      If you believe the website is a phishing site, click Report this site as safe or phishing to report it for further analysis and verification.
    • Blocked When the Blocked shield appears, the following message is displayed in the pop-up dialog: "Reported phishing website".

Phishing Filter has determined that the website is fraudulent or a phishing website and has been reported to Microsoft. Phishing Filter will block you from entering data at the website and all forms on the web page will be blocked. To unblock data entry for this website, click Go to website. This is not recommended. To close the dialog, click Close website. If a website is being blocked, but you know it isn't a phishing website, click Report this site as safe to report it for further analysis and verification.
    Notes

• When you install OneCare Advisor on Internet Explorer 7.0, Phishing Filter is disabled since this service is part of the core Internet Explorer 7.0 browser. For more information, visit the Internet Explorer support page
    • To report a suspected phishing website, click the Phishing Filter icon, and then click Report this site as safe or phishing.

Status

Re: phishing

Seems to me like you answered your own question here. Either upgrade to IE7 and report your site yourself, or get someone else to report it for you. Looks like those are your only two options.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Hi VJ
    Thanks for your comments.
    what do you think if I report my own..ie
    Do you think that I should report my own site if I use the IE6 new toolbar.
    as I say on IE6s phishing version it only allows me to say
    and NOT as in IE7 where it allows me as a webmaster to say its safe or not a phishing site.
    In Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Live Toolbar, from a yellow warning, click Report this site as safe or from a red warning, click Report that this is not a phishing website
    Just to remind what the option is on IE6 live toolbar
    Report a website
    Phishing websites impersonate trustworthy websites for the purpose of obtaining your personal or financial information.
    You can help us evaluate this website by letting us know whether you think it is a phishing website.
    Website you are reporting:
    http://www.-----.com
    regards
    Pete

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

I think VJ covered it pretty well. If you do this on ie6 it seems you will just be verifying that it is a phishing site.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Hi Dave,
    appreciate you quick comment.
    IF I did do as one of VJs suggestions said and got someone else to report it for me, as they are NOT the webmaster, I would think that they would only be doing similar to if I report my own site on IE6.. UNLESS they had an option on IE 7 where they could say this is NOT a phishing site.. (If so this would be in my favour) BUT I thought that maybe this option is ONLY if one is the actual webmaster and not as a visitor on my site.
    By any chance do you have IE 7 , if so could you say if it does have this option for a visitor to ones site to report it as safe or non phishing ?
    With me not yet having IE 7 I cannot see exactly what the options are that it offers.
    The windows download page did show some information on a quick tutorial but I couldnt see the full options available.
    thks Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I think VJ covered it pretty well. If you do this on ie6 it seems you will just be verifying that it is a phishing site.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

This is becoming a waste of time.
    Here are your options
    1) do it yourself with IE6 and pray.
    2) Have somebody else do it with IE7 and pray.
    3) Leave it alone and pray
    4) upgrade to IE7 and do it yourself

I am closing the thread, the same thing has been said in every possible way, it is up to you what you do with this info.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting