57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Related

1. perl not executing from PHP    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 0
  3. How to get value from javascript to PERL    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
  4. Executing the PERL CGI Script    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    New User

Status

Javascript executing perl?

Hello, I'm not sure that this is the most appropiate forum, as my problem involves perl as well.
    In any case, I'm attempting to have a javascript execute a perl file. I have a htm document with a line like:
    HTML Code:
    <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="perl_med_java_test.pl"></SCRIPT>
    And the file it's suppose to execute looks like:

Code:
    #!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
    print "<!-- BEGIN\n";
    print "document.write(\"perl test\");\n";
    print "// END -->";
    But nothing happens, and I can't see why.
    I'd be very grateful for any insigts here.
    Nongolf.
    Last edited by DeadMeatGF; 05-10-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: changed formatting for code tags

Status

Re: Javascript executing perl?

As far as I know, this isn't something you can have javascript do for you. Javascript scripts execute javascript code, not Perl code or any other scripting language.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Yeah, I did think it sounded almost too good to be true, but I didn't make it up myself.

I was looking for a simple visit-counter that I could understand/modify. I found this:

designz.yoll.net/text_counter.html

I would have added the h-t-t-p stuff in front there, only this rather anal forum won't let me - even with the auto-parse link option unchecked.

May wanna look into that, admin. I even had to leave the page and come back here before I was allowed to post.
    Bad admin! Shame on you!

Thanks.
    Nongolf

Status

Looks like the instructions for that script are pretty straightforward. What sort of modifications to the code are you trying to make? We don't really have a Perl expert here on the forums (that I'm aware of anyway), but perhaps we can still help.

Just so you know, the AHFB forums require you to have 5 quality posts before you can post a link. It's an anti-spam measure.

As a side note, I noticed that website you mentioned launches a new and decidedly spammy window. Not your fault, but whoever owns that website should be shot!
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Looks like the instructions for that script are pretty straightforward. What sort of modifications to the code are you trying to make?

Well, none that I wasn't forced to yet. It didn't run, so I made sure that the javascript was executing with a simple "write.document" call. Since that checked out, I tried to make sure that the perl program was executing by making it real simple (or so I think). I replaced all the perl with those three simple print calls described in my first post.
    That's where I am now. I can't verify that the perl bit is actually executing.

Just so you know, the AHFB forums require you to have 5 quality posts before you can post a link. It's an anti-spam measure.

Yeah, I was told so - and also how I would be allowed to post an URL: by unchecking the "Automatically parse links in text". And that's perfectly fine, only it didn't work - I had to leave this here reply page and come back to re-post.

As a side note, I noticed that website you mentioned launches a new and decidedly spammy window. Not your fault, but whoever owns that website should be shot!

My apologies. I haven't had any windows launched myself.

Nongolf, would settle for some tar and feather-rolling.