52 users online (0 members and 52 guests)  

Related

1. Gator    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 14
  2. Gator and Adaware (et al)    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 37
  3. BulkRegister Gets Injunction Against VeriSign    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 7
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Talking Injunction granted in lawsuit against Gator

In what may well be the biggest blow yet to scum / theftware industry, an injuntion has been granted in the pending lawsuit against Gator. You may remember on June 27 when news broke that a lawsuit was brought in Alexandria, Va. The Washington Post, The New York Times, Dow Jones and seven other publishers alleged that Gator's ads violate their copyrights and steal revenue. This is the same argument that I have had with Gator as well as ezula/toptext. In addition to monetary damages the suit asked for a permanant restraining order against Gator. Those bringing the suit also asked for a temporary restraining order until the case is resolved, this is what was today granted.

The future does not appear to be bright for Gator or those that have stooped to actually advertising through Gator. June 11, a court granted WeightWatchers a permanant restraining order against DietWatch so DietWatch could no longer use Gator to steal the customers of WeightWatchers. WeightWatchers was also granted $25000 in damages.

I have a feeling both of these suits will now open the floodgates. Many more lawsuits will follow, some that will include you and me as plantiffs when the class actions hit.

Wonder if they will stop the auto-downloads now? Certainly they can no longer afford to pay these panzy webmasters that force this upon us.

Dave

Status
    there is nothing more upsetting to me than finding 'ads' installed onto my computer without my consent.

New User

Status
    Screw em into the ground! There is nothing I hate more then pop-up ads, it makes a site look so crap, and un-professional. Serves gator right, stooping that low to make money, off someone elses work, and shame to the people who advertised via them, thats a really low move.

Their are millions of other ways to promote a business without resorting to something that low.

Just my 2c

New User

Status
    That was more than a year ago, and Gator still seems to be thriving. What is the latest on this?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Unfortunately Gator was victorius in this case. If one was to look at what is going on with the government and internet related issues, especially i the realm of theftware and trademark issues, it is painfully obvious that there is a lack of understanding.

Hopefully, as time goes by and more folks are educated, we will start to see a change in the judicial mindsets.

Dave