19 users online (0 members and 19 guests)  

Thread: PHP Tutorials

Related

1. Tutorials    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. GDLib Tutorials?    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. got tutorials?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
  4. CSS Tutorials    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 12
    New User

Status

PHP Tutorials

Hi all,
    Well I have the heading asking for Tutorials, but essentially what I am after is advice on the best way to go about learning php.
    I dont have time to attend college unfortunately, and no funds to pay for an online course. Are there any good tutorial sites out there? I have never written in PHP before, so I would be basically learning from scratch.
    Any advice is much appreciated.

Status

Re: PHP Tutorials

Hi O Dogg,

http://www.tizag.com does a good beginners tutorial on php.
    Of course www.php.net has all the definitions of the php functions, commands etc but can get a bit confusing for a new user. (look under the documentation section).

If i was you (and its the way i learnt) the best way to learn is to start coding your own website. Start first by reading a basic tutorial like tizag and having a grasp of the most common functions, how to use arrays, loops and integrating PHP with html (I use Smarty - a templating engine. It basically seperates your php code from your html code (which is held in a template file. It makes all your code very easy to read and understand).
    Once you have the basic grasp and have proudly done your 'hello world!' program, pick a website that interests you. An arcade website, social communtiy, real estate website, forum website, a personal site - anything that you want and get coding!
    Odds are you'll be banging your head against the wall with 10 minutes and rushing to forums to get an answer but it is definitely the best way to learn!! I find that even though you may follow a series of tutorials that the 'experiences' are often disjointed and don't lead to you or me having a 'joined up' approach to coding. Whereas by following the route of coding your own website its a natural progression through the whole 'package'. Am i making any sense??
    Last edited by firmaterra; 06-02-2007 at 04:41 PM.

New User

Status

Yes you make perfect sense, and I appreciate the reply.
    I will have a good look through those sites and try and get something up. On my way camping so it wont be until after this week, but once I have completed it, I will be sure to let you know.
    Really do appreciate your reply and thanks so much for the advice.

Status

Ah camping! Brilliant! If you're a true nerd you'll bring a laptop and spend the weekend huddled in the tent working away. And of course freaking and muttering to yourself when the battery runs out..

Status

I picked up a book called "PHP and Web Development" by Sams. I think it's about $40US, but I found it on the cheap book shelf for next to nothing.

It comes with a CD and has a few apps that you can hack and use.

hth

u
    Last edited by uthus; 06-04-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Remembered the name of the book