38 users online (2 members and 36 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

New User

Status

How to make a search engine?

Hello am trying to make a serach engine for my web page. I got some code at :

http://www.searchcentralonline.com/boxcode.htm

But this search engine seraches the whole net... is there some way to modify the code so that it only searchs your web site...
    eg.
    I am making a web site that has a serach engine.. but the seach engine should only search my Web site for information not the whole net...

Any ideas

Yours Respectfully
    Avin Sinanan

Administrator

Status
    Hello Avin. Welcome to the forums.

Two options -

make your own - this would invlove downloading a rather large, complex script from www.hotscripts.com or another script archive.

use an existing search - google offer, for free, a 'site search' option. This does rely on the fact that your site has to be indexed by google, but if its a popular site and you know how to setup your meta tags correctly, then this would work great.

http://www.google.com/services/free.html

Is where to signup.

Let us know how you get on.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Like you said you want your site to be searched not other websites.
    So try some Programming resources such as
    hotscripts.com , onlyphp.com , resourceindex.com etc.

Administrator

Status
    Google do a one-site-only search service, using 'site:css.somepeople.net' before your search terms.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    Hi Sir!

I'm a beginner (search engine thing) and i wanted to construct a search engine by myself. I would like to solicit for your help to give me an insight of where to start or is it possible for me to create one?...stuffs related to those things.

Thanks a lot and your advice is truly appreciated.

Administrator

Status
    Do you want to make a search for your site, or for the web? Plus, try the script repositories mentioned above, and see how thye did it

New User

Status

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    Do you want to make a search for your site, or for the web? Plus, try the script repositories mentioned above, and see how thye did it
    Thanks for the reply.
    I actually want to make a search for my site. And i'd prefer it to be more like a portal site or something like yahoo or dmoz...site where there are sub-catogories when a visitor clicks something, and visitors can also add their links..

I am wondering if i can make it manually (by making lots and lots of hyperlinks) or do i have to seek for a software or something? i have an account in hotscripts.com, if that helps.

I know i may have taken much of your time but i really need your help. Thanks again, and your advice truly counts.

Disabled

Status
    There are companies that sell software that will generate link pages for you. One in particular is made by Axandra called Arelis. It does have its limitations for a major portal site but will automatically generate a single level of sub-pages.
    I'd offer a link but I'm not sure that its allowed in the forum rules (maybe I should read 'em, eh? ).

W.

Administrator

Status
    If you have a useful link, post away mate.

New User

Status

Thumbs up Your link would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by woodknut
    There are companies that sell software that will generate link pages for you. One in particular is made by Axandra called Arelis. It does have its limitations for a major portal site but will automatically generate a single level of sub-pages.
    I'd offer a link but I'm not sure that its allowed in the forum rules (maybe I should read 'em, eh? ).

W.
    Hey! I'd be very thankful if you'll send me a link of that software. My thanks beforehand.

I'll also do research about it shortly. Thanks for all your help.

Disabled

Status
    Believe it or not the link is :

http://www.axandra.com/

I have downloaded the trial version of ARELIS 4 and did a couple test pages. If you want to share experiences just ping me.

W.

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    If you have a useful link, post away mate.
    Sir,

I now have an htmlgoodies book with me and i hope to learn tips from it. I'm working now on the site i referred - me and my gang are working hard to make this search engine site work.

I'd really appreciate more insights you could give since we all have very limited knowledge about this stuff.

As always, thanks.

New User

Status
    Hi,

Thanks...I'll go try the link out....

New User

Status
    i don't think this is what you want but just for searching your website this is a great place to go to http://sitelevel.whatuseek.com
    then you sign up and can customize nearly everything.

Status
    When I was learning PHP I came across PHP-DIG, it's an amazing search engine for your site..

http://phpdig.toiletoine.net/

Check it out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last