47 users online (1 members and 46 guests)  

Thread: free host?

Related

1. free host with asp    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 5
  2. Free Host?    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 10
    Man Utd Fans

Status

Wink free host?

does anyone know any free host that:

-provide at least 15MB

-no banners, could've pop ups

-supports php forums

-supports mp3 files(or other music files)

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    15 megs and you want to upload mp3s? and a forum?

It sounds like you want to play with the big boys but want to stay in the shallow waters. I wouldnt even suggest a host for that offers what you want, they would be in serious need of a new business model.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Man Utd Fans

Status
    first of all, an mp3 of mine is only 1 mb big, and for a forum...i ain't sure. well, anyways, where can i find a free host with no banners, yes pop-ups, yes mp3s,and yes php?

New User

Status
    f2s used to have free php, no advert hosting, but they had to close it down, due to the fact that they were loosing to much money, if you can find a host that does all that, let me know! but i dont like your chances, looks like your gonna have to pay for hosting

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Lets look at hosting from both the host and the consumer point of view, to do so lets look at the bottom line MONEY.

In order for a host to stay in business, they must make a profit, before showing a profit somebody must pay for overhead such as servers, bandwidth, customer service, these are the core elements there are many more things to be paid for.

To earn a profit a "free" host will add banners and popupsthus earning revenue from your site. You may also(with some free hosts) add banners or popups. Many will not allow this as you are diluting their potential earnings, and of course they are doing the same to you, too many adverts=less money.

Look at paid hosting, I proudly advertise for 100megswebhosting, the starter plan is $5.00 a month, can be paid monthly with no setup fee.
    [list=1][*]10 MB of disk space [*]2 GB of bandwidth [*]1 subdomain[*]1 FTP account[*]control panel[*]PHP4[*]cgi-bin[*]built-in CGI scripts (shopping cart
    banner rotation
    cgi-email
    chat room
    clock
    countdown
    counter
    form mail
    guestbook
    random html
    search engine)[*]Real Audio/Video [*]raw access logs [*]full website statistics [/list=1]

Is there enough goodies to enable you to make a better site for your visitors than with a limited free host? Do you think you could earn $5.00 a month with a package like this? All the popups(sigh), banners, sale pages are yours.

Do you want to profit from your work or do you want to give that money to a "free" host?

I have not even brought up the subject of domains such as giveusyourprofits.com/server5/~yoursite/index.html and the search engines.

Dave

Status
    Spaceports starts you out with 20Mb, but as you fill your space, you can request more space as long as your site follows the rules. PHP/mySQL is available on the cgi-bin server which can be used in conjunction with your main account. You can use MP3s as long as you fax authorization from the copyright holder. Spaceports adds a banner frame but you can remove it for $20/year. The $20/year also increases your transfer limit from 1Gb/month to 5Gb/month.

Man Utd Fans

Status
    i'm only twelve and only get 20$ a month. my parents don't allow me using my own money(rarely do they go the opposite way) . How do u 'pose i can have my own domain name?

Man Utd Fans

Status
    i've checked out spaceport-and-it's (edit). and i mean it.every time u go into a web page of theirs. u've large banners and a window pop up:saying,"would u like to set searchxxx as ur homepage"?

i think any other host is better than dat one
    Last edited by HTML; 07-23-2002 at 02:17 PM.

Administrator

Status
    Free host -

http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/

Try it, you might like it.

As to 'how do I get a domain name', sorry, but you will pretty much need some cash for that. I admire the fact that you are only twelve yet you are making a go of your website, so maybe you should talk to your parents and explain how important this is to you... you can get domains for less than $15 a year
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Originally posted by QuietDean
    you can get domains for less than $15 a year
    less than $10 a year here for http://www.ahfb2000.com/domains.php

Enigma, the reason I did not suggest Spaceports to him is due to the fact that they limit your cgi-bin to 100 files, that may not work for this instance.

Dave

Man Utd Fans

Status
    thx to all

i think tripod is good enough 4 me until i can persuade my parents on getting a domain name.

Last edited by geek987; 07-23-2002 at 08:02 PM.

New User

Status
    for a domain name try godaddy.com, their really cheap!

for hosting their are heaps of companies that give you some web space and a few gigs bandwidth + php/mysql blah blah for about $5 a month, which isnt much. its either that or geocities or somethin, also try brinkster.com their free, no ads, but they dont have php suport, only asp and ms access for the database