57 users online (1 members and 56 guests)  

Related

1. Any thoughts please on redirect prob.    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. IE prob, ok otherwise...    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. skins/templete installation prob.    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. drop down menu prob.    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  5. table prob.    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 7
    New User

Status

W3 validation prob with css link tag in header

Hi --

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm new to this forum and also new to 'validation.' - trying to validate my site and I think it's HTML 4.01 transitional. I cleaned up all the errors except three that I can't figure out.
    "document type does not allow element "LINK" here" and the explanation is:
    "One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error"
    In short, the meta and link tags are seen as self-closing. Removing </head> and <body> doesn't fix it and I'd expect that would introduce other probs. The question I have is what's the correct syntax for these links? Or am I not HTML 4.01 transitional?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Status

Re: W3 validation prob with css link tag in header

Welcome to AHFB, Steve. We're glad to have you here.

Could you post the URL to your page, or else post the code here? We'll be better able to help you with that.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Hi, V-J --
    I beat on it for about an hour this morning and finally became compliant. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but I think part of it was the / > at the end of my
    <meta name="verify-v1" tag that I cut and pasted from Google when getting verified through them. As W3 pointed out, in their own obscure way, the slash is seen by their parser as the end of the <head> and the closing > is seen as extraneous text. Everything following is then parsed as body text.
    The page is at www dot rogershermansociety dot com and my only remaining question is: how important or necessary is validation anyway?
    Best,
    Steve

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stevekerp View Post
    my only remaining question is: how important or necessary is validation anyway?
    The short answer: It will ensure the maximum cross-browser compatibility.

The longer answer: What the W3C (World-Wide Web Consortium) says on the subject here. You can skip the What Is Validation section and just go straight to the Why Validate section. A most worthwhile read.

New User

Status

Hi again -
    Thanks for the link; as you said, very worthwhile. I had no idea someone could be successfully sued for having an 'inaccessible' web site. But I guess in today's legal environment, just about anything goes.
    Anyway, I'm having lots of fun and learning lots of interesting stuff about HTML. I always knew I was a novice, picking it up on the fly and working in Notepad. But being able to put together a page of code that's clean enough for W3C is very satisfying.
    Thanks again.
    Best,
    Steve
    rogershermansociety dot com

Status

You're definitely on the right track with trying to make sure your web pages validate. I was quite a bit down the road of my own learning before I worried about that stuff.

As for a website owner being sued for having an inaccessible website, I think people would generally pick on the "big boys" - i.e., ones with money. Interestingly, accessibility has been pretty high priority for government websites. As webmasters though, it's a good thing for us all to be concerned about that.

New User

Status

Thanks.
    I am responding to your response because I understand I must have five postings before I can include hyperlinks in my posts.
    And I'm almost there ....
    Best,
    Steve