50 users online (0 members and 50 guests)  

Thread: Please help..

New User

Status

Exclamation Please help..

Hello.

Let me start off by saying, I dunno where to put this thread so I picked this one.. randomly :\. Sorry if your annoyed or upset with this issue. Heres my problem, I really want a website, my own website, with my own images, videos, music, sounds, text, etc..etc.. However I am not sure how to go about this. I was wondering if you could help me to find out. I've read a number of sites talking about Domain Names and Hosting. These aren't very helpful and in some cases, confusing.

To keep this as simple as possible I will just be blunt and ask some questions:

1) I've brought a Domain Name, now what?
    2) I have a website, but now I want to change something. How do I do this?
    3) I want the views of my website to contact me via Email. But I don't want to give them my person Email address (MSN).
    4) I want adverts to gain income from my site, how would I do this?
    5) Anything else you think I should know?

Let me finish by saying sorry for the annoyance of posting this thread in the wrong forums or\and the some what childish questions and problems your helping me with.

Thank you in advance..

Craig
    Last edited by Craig.Roberts; 07-23-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Type_O

Status

Re: Please help..

Hi, Craig, and welcome to AHFB! We're glad you decided to join us.

Your questions are as appropriate to this forum as any, I guess. We don't really have a general techie type forum.

Here are my thoughts on your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Craig.Roberts View Post
    I've brought a Domain Name, now what?
    You need to find a web hosting company to host your domain. You'll find a list of recommended host right here on AHFB. There are also a number of hosting review sites, where you can find ratings, pricing, services, customer reviews, etc. Just search Google to find a few of them.

2) I have a website, but now I want to change something. How do I do this?
    What type of change to you want to make? Content changes or something else? You need to supply a little more detail on this one.

3) I want the views of my website to contact me via Email. But I don't want to give them my person Email address (MSN).
    You need a contact form script. There are lots of these available for free, in places such as hotscripts, just to name one.

4) I want adverts to gain income from my site, how would I do this?
    I'm probably not the best person to advise you on this, since both my sites are non income-producing sites. However, I know that there are pay per click banner ads that can produce income for your site, Google AdWords being but one.

5) Anything else you think I should know?
    Just a little advice, which you are free to take or leave. If you're new to web development, which it seems like you might be, don't try to do too many things at once. For example, concentrate first on getting a contact form up and running first. Get comfortable with making changes to your website. Learn HTML well, if you don't already. Learn CSS.

Maintaining a website can be both fun and challenging. I wish you well as you get yours off the ground.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Exclamation Re: Please help..

Let me start by saying thank you vinyl-junkie for the help regarding my last post. I'm writing this in response to your reply and hope you can assist me further. Like before I shall just be blunt and give some strait forward questions to make your life easier.

1) Where could I get the cheapest Domain Name?
    2) When is the money from a Domain Name taken? (e.g. monthly)
    3) Where could I get the cheapest Hosting Company?
    4) I want the viewers of my site to send me videos and images via Email, would the contact form script support this?
    5) Lets say I have a forums on my site, and I want to update it. How could I update it WITHOUT losing peoples threads?
    6) What web builder do you suggest I use to create my website? (e.g. Frontpage)
    7) If I wanted to produce money from adverts and I want the money payable to my bank account. How would I give them this information and what kinda information would be included?
    8) Anymore information that could be useful to me?

Thank you in advance

Craig

Status

Re: Please help..

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. That's what we're here for.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig.Roberts View Post
    1) Where could I get the cheapest Domain Name?
    Godaddy is among the cheapest. You might want to search the forums for other threads on this subject.

2) When is the money from a Domain Name taken? (e.g. monthly)
    There are several options - annually, 3 years at a time, and more. If you plan to have your domain for a long time, paying for multiple years is the best value.

3) Where could I get the cheapest Hosting Company?
    Don't just look at price. Look at the features you want for your site; e.g., disk space, bandwidth, databases. Also, look at how long the hosting company has been in business and how satisfied their customers seem to be. This question could be a whole thread unto itself, as there is much to consider when choosing a web host.

4) I want the viewers of my site to send me videos and images via Email, would the contact form script support this?
    I have a contact form that can send attachments via email that I could post here if you're interested. If your email has a size limit on attachments, the script might not work properly. That isn't a problem with the script though.

5) Lets say I have a forums on my site, and I want to update it. How could I update it WITHOUT losing peoples threads?
    Dave (AHFB owner/administrator) could probably answer this better than I could, but I believe you can put up a "under maintenance" page while you're doing a forum upgrade. Dave could provide you some details on how that's done.

6) What web builder do you suggest I use to create my website? (e.g. Frontpage)
    Tools like FrontPage tend to produce bloated code. DreamWeaver is nice albeit a little pricey. I hand code using a free tool called 1st Page 2000. It really depends on your budget and whether you like hand coding or using a tool with a design view.

7) If I wanted to produce money from adverts and I want the money payable to my bank account. How would I give them this information and what kinda information would be included?
    I'll defer to someone else on this one.

8) Anymore information that could be useful to me?
    Nothing I can think of at the moment.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Talking Re: Please help..

Thank you vinyl-junkie, you have been more then helpful. I will use all the information and advice you have provided me with. If I get stuck or need more help (which will most probably happen ) I'll be sure to come back and ask for more help and advice. Thank you again vinyl-junkie.

New User

Status

Thumbs up Can you help?

Sorry if you think all these seems random, its probably because it is. Also sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, I'm new to this site. Anyway...

Hello.

My name is Craig Roberts (obviously) and I'm looking to create my own website purely for personal use. Currently I don't have a Domain Name or a Hosting Package and I was hoping someone could offer me the best possible Hosting Packages and/or Domain Name providers there are based on my needs.

First of all, does it matter where I get my Domain Name from? In other words, if I buy a Domain Name from one place for 3 a year will it be any better then buying it from another place for 5 a year? Are there any special benefits or should I just go for the most cheapest option?

As I am aware Hosting Packages should not be judged solely on the price (e.g. the cheapest is the best option). But judged also on the help and support they provide along with the features they offer. However I still wish help on finding the best Hosting Package there is for me. I shall tell you what my site will contain and some features I would like to have. If you need more information as to what features I require please let me know.

My site will mostly be text based. I want the option to have a forums (as good as this one) and to have lots of images and possibly some small videos. I want the option for people to send me videos, images and messages via Email (but not give them my personal Email address which is AIM/MSN). I don't have a huge amount of money and my site wont be earning any money, so I really want the cheapest option with the most possible space and also will be able to support these features (including features I may have missed out) I can get.

I should also point out I am 17 years old and not highly knowledgeable when it comes to HTML and CSS. However I am keen to learn; if you know of any good sites that can help me with learning these skills I'd much love a link. Also I am from England, so when we talk money would you possibly be able to give me the currency in pounds .

That is pretty much it. Sorry for the long load of text, I'm just trying to help you understand my thoughts as much as I possibly can. Just one more thing to note; I'd like to keep my Domain Name and Hosting Package separate.

Thank you in advance...

Craig