41 users online (1 members and 40 guests)  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. Tables + auto scroll = Head bashing    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 6
  3. Tables/vertical scroll bars only    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 7
  4. Replies: 2
  5. Tables and Scroll Bars    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 22
    VagrantChris

Unhappy Add a Scroll Bar to Tables

I need to add a scroll bar to my tables, check my site at www.geocities.com/theewired

check my BIO section to see how the table increases in size to accomodate the new stuff. I need a scroll bar, so the table doesn't increase!

Administrator

Status
    hello there. Welcome to the forums!

You will not be able to add a scrollbar to a table. However, you can add a scroll bar to a <div> inside a table. here is an example -
    Code:
    <div style="width: 200px; height: 200px; overflow: scroll; border: 5px dashed black; background-color: #ccc;">
    This is where all the stuff goes.<br />
    Add some more stuff, and instead of growing, it will have a scrollbar.
    </div>
    Hope that helps.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

VagrantChris
    WOW, UR AWESOME< AWESOME I TELL U, I could kiss you, but I dont go that way, thanks man !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Thanks QuietDean. As usual, you've provided me with the first reason why I want to use <DIV ...> tags. I'm sure there are others that will help me improve my web site. Look forward to discovering them.

(Most of the source code I've seen with <DIV> </DIV> tags has been just that - few have contained anything within them that appeared to justify their inclusion within the .html encoding process.)

Administrator

Status
    The <div> is the perfect block element for css, because it has no properties of its own, its just a block as wide as the page and as high as the content. That makes it perfect for a CSS-driven site, especially when its time to change the layout, as the divs can be re-manipulated into a completely different structure without touching the HTML

the inline (non block) equivalent is <span>, it defines a non-block area (like a word) but has no properties of its own.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    Oh, and Benzden, check out -

http://error404.quietdean.com

its completely css layout (site is not finished, only the index.php works at the mo) so have a look at the source, then have a look at the style definitions (I think I used inline, eek). Its a good example.
    Plus, if you have a non-IE6 browser, I would be interested in seeing how it looks ( it works fine in IE6 & MOzilla (which is the most important, Mozilla has the best standards-conformance out there)).

Status
    looks okay with IE 5.00.3314... (can't cut and paste those damn 'about' windows) and appears to work as intended.

I cloned the left class to a right class and displayed the file
    with the first DIV reflecting class=right instead of class=left, but it displayed underneath the 'main' text in the middle - meaning I'd have to change the code therein to move it all to the left. Using TABLEs and simply moving a <TD> cell to the left or right would be easier - without having to change any code.

P.S.
    Had to save the file via "save as" in order to view the source code - for some reason, neither right click nor Menu "View" source worked for that primary page - didn't notice anything in the source code preventing right clicking.
    Last edited by benzden; 08-05-2002 at 03:21 PM.

Vetarru
    Greetings. I have a question. I want a table with the scroll bars but I don't want the scroll bar on the bottom. I have seen this done before for places to post updates (which is exactly what I want the table for). Does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Administrator

Status
    Hiya.

Tables do not have scroll-bars. Pages do, and elements in a page can, but tables don't.

Would you mind explaining a bit more what you are after? Or maybe post some links so we can see what you mean.

Vetarru
    Well, I tried to go back to the site that had this and it's down, go figured. What I want may not be a table so allow me to describe.

It's a outlined box with posted text (not imput provided but the visitor) with a scrollbar on the right side. That's it. Am I making any sense yet?

Administrator

Status
    Yes. That could be a div like the one outlined in the post above, or could be an iframe .

Look at the second post from the top in this thread, try it, is that what you are after?

Vetarru
    I did try that code. The problems I had with are the fact that it has a funky border and it has a scroll bar at the bottom. The type of text box w/ a scroll bar I'm talking about only had a scroll bar on the side, not one on the bottom.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Sounds like you want Iframes. Dean, or anybody, Do any of you know if the Iframe/Ilayer issue has been solved in the latest browser versions?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status
    Try this iframes tuorial

http://www.freesources.net/authoring/html/iframe.htm

Administrator

Status
    woops. Sorry Dave.

Iframes in themselves can be useful, but are still browser-specific and a lot of hassle to use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last