48 users online (0 members and 48 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. Google updated PR    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. CSS Tutorial Updated    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 4
  3. last updated script    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 4
    Administrator

Status
    Sure B.

It is essential to have some server-side language engine parsing these values. With PHP, ASP or Perl, you can get very complex processing going on (this forum runs on PHP, with data held in a mySQL database).

For the functionality you mentioned above, you could g probablr get away with something called Server Side Includes. Your pages are called *.shtml so that they get parsed, and it gives you some basic functionality.

I recommend getting a host with a server-side language as standard, tho. Most use either php or asp nowadays, but failing that, nearly all supply perl/cgi.

To inlude another page (ie, a 'header') , here are some examples -
    php -
    PHP Code:
    <? @include("path/to/myHeader.php"); ?>
    asp & ssi -
    Code:
    <!--#include file="path/to/myHeader.asp" -->

To echo out the current host, or virtual hostname (ie, a subdomain) -

PHP Code:
    <? echo $SERVER_NAME?>
    in asp -
    Code:
    <% 
    response.write(request.serverVariables("SERVER_NAME") %>
    I think, only use asp in work, so a bit rusty...

The variable $SCRIPT_NAME will give you the path and the filename, so used in conjunction with SERVER_NAME, you have the current url of the page.

If you have options, I recommend PHP. Its open source, easier to use, and its not Microsoft.

I'll be honest, I am starting to see what people see in ASP, but you never forget your first love...
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Sure Dean, I'd love to see a copy of your class.quietdean.php if you don't mind.

nooffal@attbi.com

Thanks!

Status
    Dean,

I had a look at your tutorial. Great job! I picked up a couple new tips.

I think I've seen a reference to the problem you mentioned with z-index on another site. There was a simple fix for it, either a semi-colon after the last item, or making sure one of the commands was always last. I've been on so many sites, I don't remember where I saw it.

There is one site I'd like to recommend for your resources page, http://www.w3schools.com/. It has very good tutorials and the examples come up in a divided window. with once side that allows you to modify the sample code so you can practice, and the other side shows the example, which updates with your modified code when you hit the display button.

Administrator

Status
    Agreed. The w3schools are very good, thats where I learnt xml. I will add them.

I think the z-index problem has been pretty much sorted by the 6th generation browsers, which is good.

And thank you for your kind words.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Super Newbie

Status
    i'm curious, since i've never learned php/perl, which of the three (ASP,PHP,Perl) is the best or do they each have advantages?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Doorknob, rather than go off topic with the thread, could you please make that post in the "scripts" forum.

Thanks,

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Super Newbie

Status
    sure

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2