60 users online (1 members and 59 guests)  

New User

Status

Making a "News" column.

Hey all, this is my first post here and I am working on my first website.

I want to make a "news" column that displays old news items (like dates and a description) that people can click on and check out. The problem is, I don't know how to make a column like that independent of the web page.

So, I was thinking of making a separate HTML file for every news item, but then I realized I'd have to update all the news HTML files every time a new piece of news got in, to let people browse them all from any article. I don't know how to do that.

Here is the site:

EDIT: I guess I can't post links yet. We'll have to do this the hard way.

The "Old News" box is where the links to other news articles would go. I would have the box itself have a scroll bar to conserve space. I don't know if I want to leave it green, either... bleah. But that's the least of my worries for now.

I have a feeling I gave a confusing description of what I want, so if you have questions, ask, because I really need some help with this. My professor or any of my friends don't know much HTML either, so I'm on my own.

Status

Re: Making a "News" column.

Welcome to AHFB!

You can post the URL. It just wouldn't be clickable.

There are a few different ways you can do this. The easiest way for you from the sounds of it would be to use an include file, if you web host supports it. Another way, which would be a little harder if you're unfamiliar with it, is to have your articles stored in a database and use a scripting language such as PHP to write the links to your web page. For example, you could write a script that would show links to the last five articles. It all depends on your skill level and possibly what you're willing to learn.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

First of all, I live in Federal Way too (well technically in Auburn, but like 5 minutes away from Seatac Mall), weird.

Secondly, everything you just said went way over my head. I mean, I think I see what you mean by saying "include file", but I have no idea how to implement it.

I just started this a few weeks ago from scratch, so I really only know the basics of HTML and CSS.

My prof basically said "do whatever", as long as I get it done. But I think a php license costs money or something? Or is that only with message boards? I don't know. If it costs money, it's out of the question.

Here is the website, then:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/groups/admx/news.html

So the green box on the right is where the old news links would go. I would want it so that if you clicked any of the old news, newer news would still show up without having me edit each HTML file separately.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Status

Nice to see someone else from my home town!

If you only know HTML and CSS, I would just stick with that. What you're asking for requires some scripting knowledge to be able to do. That takes time to learn, and chances are, you wouldn't have enough time to do that as well as complete your assignment. Stick with what you know to get the assignment done.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

So there's no quick fix for something like that?

I'll have to think up a new layout, then, or just simply neglect it and hope nobody cares.