51 users online (0 members and 51 guests)  

New User

Status

another idiot has joined you

Yep, I am the idiot. I have my site, figured out how to change a few things and how to manage it. Now what I need help with is 1. is there something that will allow you to attach photos to your post with out the hyperlink? If so what is it and and how exactly do I put it there. I know how to upload using ftp but just don't know where exactly it goes what directory etc..(told you I was dumb..blonde too) 2. I want to ad a banner that I can change not for ads but for pics that I want to upload.
    I really want to learn how to work all of this stuff, and I have read basic tutorials that is how I have made it thus far. If someone has some extra time on their hands and don't mind explaining things to me I would be grateful.
    Thanks
    Dawn
    Last edited by txkickergirl; 01-14-2008 at 10:32 PM.

New User

Status

Re: another idiot has joined you

1) it depends on what script you use but I bet the script can be modified so it won't show any hyperlink
    2) It depends on your server configuration. For example if your hosting uses Cpanel, your website's files are located under public_html folder. You will have to upload all files available for http into that folder.

New User

Status

thank you for your reply I don't know anything about script, where do I find that out? Yes it is controlled through cpanel and that is how I changed the template but is there certain places to put the file under the public folder? Thats where I am getting lost at. for the template I went to www and then templates and then put it there, then I had to get out of cpanel go into site admin and conf. to install it. If I put it in the public folder then what do I do next or does it automatically take effect. Thanks

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by txkickergirl View Post
    1. is there something that will allow you to attach photos to your post with out the hyperlink? If so what is it and and how exactly do I put it there. I know how to upload using ftp but just don't know where exactly it goes what directory etc.
    2. I want to ad a banner that I can change not for ads but for pics that I want to upload.
    1. Yes, but I need to know what you're trying to do. Like, create something like a photo gallery? If so, that's an easy one. 2. Banners are a little different. You generally need to be a good photo/graphic editing type person in order to make up a good banner. Displaying banners, however, is trivial. Just give me a couple of clues and I'll try to help you out. =Ed=

New User

Status

First off what I am trying to do is instead of going through photo bucket or another place, I would like users to be able to click on something at the end of the post to add attachment so that they can post the pics right off your computer without uploading it to a site and then linking over to the post.
    Second the other thing I would like to do is be able to put photos across the page to be displayed. My site is for the hobby of metal detecting so I would like to show members recent finds in a banner like area across the top.
    Now I have a new question do I need meta tags in order to get listed with the search engines?
    Thanks

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by txkickergirl View Post
    Now I have a new question do I need meta tags in order to get listed with the search engines?
    Thanks
    OK. Now I think I have the picture (no pun intended). You can use ftp to upload the photos to a specific directory on your server (Filezilla is free and the best ftp client around). Then, I have a PHP script you can use (also a freebie) that will automatically display the photos, with almost no programming skill needed on your part. And, yes, meta tags are the usual way of getting included in the search engines. PM your email address and I'll send you the script (and a link to one of my yet incomplete pages that uses this script). Cheers, Ed

New User

Status

Also, here's a terrific example of what you want to do, using ONLY css styles. Check out the final example #12 near the bottom of the page. It's fantastic!=Ed=

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by enewbold View Post
    Also, here's a terrific example of what you want to do, using ONLY css styles. Check out the final example #12 near the bottom of the page. It's fantastic!=Ed=
    Wait a minute. This system is forcong me to make a couple of cummy posts before allowing me to submit the URL to the above.

New User

Status

One more time.............

New User

Status

http://www.webreference.com/programming/css_gallery/3.html