37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Need your kind attention pls    Forum: Google Adsense
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 0
  3. I need the code for this kind of site??    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  4. My website (hope to learn HTML soon)    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Question Please help me someone I know nothing...I hope to learn if someone would be kind

My name is Dawn and Im a designer who is keen to set up an online portfoilio/website. One day I would like to launch the site and have my own business. I am keen to start working on it now.

I have bought my domain name from dreamhost.co.uk and have purchased the .com as well as the .co.uk.

Thats as far as Ive got and now I don't know what to do. I purchased the domain name at work and now all these things keep popping up in what I'm reading and its scared me to say the least!

Could someone please help me with what to do next? I don't know what webspace is or a usp??? or somehting like that. I just don't know I'm completely new to all this and feel like a fish out of water.

Thanks and I hope someone out there will help me.

Dawn

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Please help me someone I know nothing...I hope to learn if someone would be kind

You have the domain, all you need is a webhost and a website. When searching for a webhost ignore the silly sales claims of huge disc space and bandwith. Come here with your choices and I will let you know how your research was.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Re: Please help me someone I know nothing...I hope to learn if someone would be kind

Hi, Thanks but what is a webhost and where is best to get one from?

I'm sorry for being such an idiot but I'm starting right at the basics.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

The webhost is where you store your website and where others connect to it.
    http://www.ahfb2000.com/hostindex.php
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 03:43 PM.

New User

Status

I've been looking at all the fancy flash templates that I could use but can't help thinking that I'm jumping a little too far ahead of myself.

I would like to have a unique website all of my own as well as it having the quality look of a flash website.

I guess thats going to come to me when I cross that bridge.

New User

Status

Hello again,

I've had a look thanks for the link. I can't seem to figure it out though. I don't know how much space I need or what a transfer is.

Platform as well, I wouldn't have a clue?

The price I get but its in US dollers...

New User

Status

Smile Re: Please help me someone I know nothing...I hope to learn if someone would be kind

This looks a lot more tricky than I thought.

I have no idea of how much space I will need. What band width or anything. Do you have any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Status

Chances are you will need very little of both until you get busy. An inexpensive unix plan should fit your immediate needs but may not depending on what your site does.

If you tell us more of what type of site and the anticipated functions of the site then I can be a little more specific with my help.

New User

Status

Hi, OK well, I want to set up a website for my future business in graphic/branding design/packaging/marketing etc.

I want to have an online portfolio to show the clients as well as a service that allows them to contact me with jobs and detail.

The website will have the usual about pages and contact pages as well as various other info pages.

I want to be able to update it reguarly and have the capacity to hold large images.

Its really just an online portfolio that comes across as a large business even though I am only starting out alone at first.

Please see this website which is what I am going to achieve in the near future.

www.room58.com

New User

Status

Well

I say achieve in the near future that may be an over statement! :-)

Administrator

Status

If it is a business you want to eliminate any and all budget hosts and only look into business class hosting.

A hosting setup like this one at futurequest http://www.ahfb2000.com/webhosting/Pioneer.php should be about right for you (the page says 400 megs of space but it has been upgraded to 600). It would also be very simple to upgrade to a bigger package when the time comes. This site AHFB2000 is hosted at Futurequest, I have had to upgrade a couple of times and never missed a beat.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 04:19 PM.

New User

Status

Smile Re: Please help me someone I know nothing...I hope to learn if someone would be kind

Hi, Thanks for that thats great!

I've had a look through the list of things it includes and its all complete jargon to me???

Is there anything that I woud need to look out for. I see it has an ftp provided with it and thats all I understand.

Would you be able to break down what each means for me? If you ever need any help with design I'd be happy to help :-)

Administrator

Status

I think this page breaks it all down better than I ever could
    http://www.futurequest.net/Services/...es/Pioneer.php

New User

Status

Hi,

I've had a look thanks for that. Do you think that I should go with a web host thats in the UK?

When I have a host whats the next step? How will I go about adding in pages or even connecting it to my domain name?

What is an IP as well ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :-)

Administrator

Status

For search engines you are better hosting your site where ever your target clients are located. If primarily you are going after a US market (or global) US hosting would be helpful along with a .com domain. If UK, then UK hosting with the proper domain extension.

Of course you need to protect yourself from the thousands of webhosts which are either outright bogus or are run by somebody that has no business being in business. You get some level of protection, however small it may be, by purchasing from your own country.

The host should give you the information needed to upload your files as well as connecting your domain name properly.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last