39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

New User

Status

1&1,TotalChoice,Hostmonster,others

I have tried a couple of hosting companies for my 5 websites.

Many of them offer alot of storage, etc, but their customer service stinks.

I am currently trying 1&1, hostmonster, and avahost. I have been researching these places for the last few days and decided to sign up with several to see how things go.

I liked what 1&1 had to offer, but now I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories...plus they are slow to get back to you as I have just found out.

At this point I have not done anything with the nameservers and am leaving them at their current companies..that is totalchoice and startlogic. I have to say that up until about 3 months ago, startlogic was fine..but now my site is down for an hour almost every day. There customer/technical support has kind of gone downhill too.

I have had no problems with totalchoice either except confusion between the way they do billing and other aspects of the account.

But I decided to try out these other companies because I wanted to have all the domains that I own hosted under one company. Total choice wanted me to buy a new account for each domain.
    Avahost kind of scares me in that they wanted me to point the nameservers right away to them and when I said I didn't want to do it, the guy asked me to give him my sign in details and he would do it.
    Hostmonster has been a little confusing for me too... I tried to create ad-on domains under one account and have been having problems there.
    I'm getting ready now to try it with 1&1 to see how that goes.

I'd really like to have everything hosted with one company who has great customer service and doesn't confuse the heck out of you with their billing and other aspects of handling the account. I also want a user-friendly control panel.

I'd like some opinions as to whether or not I'm out of my mind for trying out these different companies. I don't know how else to really find out who is good and who is not. Seems like most companies have their good points and their bad.

Thanks for any advice.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: 1&1,TotalChoice,Hostmonster,others

Welcome to the forums

Sounds like so far you are sticking with budget hosts, and as expected getting budget host results. Out of those that you list TCH is the only one that I would possibly consider using.

1 & 1 seems to have support on the (extremely low) level of ipowerweb, startlogic is Ipowerweb. Hostmonster is the same as Bluehost, if anybody knows of Mr. Heaton ever being honest and ethical please let me know.

Personally, I prefer to spread my sites amongst different providers. This is especially important when interlinking, you want different IP blocks for the search engines. Even if you do not link the sites, the thought of a host going down and losing 1 site makes me cringe, imagine if the host went down and all sites were down, it is the "all your eggs in 1 basket" dilema.

If I were in your shoes here is how I would handle it. Take a look at each site individually and figure your requirements for each one. Should one site have business class hosting while the other 4 are just personal and can do well on budget hosting? how much space and transfer for each? which sites interlink? Does a couple of sites make good money, a couple break even and a couple lose? All of this information will assists you in preparing a LOGICAL budget for each.
    I understand that this will impose a bit more legwork on your part and may add to your billing headaches, this can be lessened (somewhat) by choosing the right hosts and may even end up assisting in your growth.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Thanks for your advice.
    All of the sites are business sites.

One is perennial plant selling site and I am still constructing . I want to have a shopping cart feature to allow people to order plants.

two sites are my pet sitting business sites which needs to have form submission and/or appointment setting ability. Right now, I'm using web-based forms and trying out web-based appointment software.

two sites are landscape business sites and also need to have form submission ability. The most important sites are the landscaping and pet sitting sites. We get our business daily from them.

I had signed up for 1&1s developer package...so I guess that was a mistake. But at least they offer a money-back guarantee if I decide against them. I suppose I was impressed by their huge advertisement in the smart computing magazine.

What I had truly hoped for was a really good host, that was at the very least U.S. based and better yet, local to me or on the east coast. But customer support and technical support are what is MOST important to me more than price, though that is a factor too. But it wouldn't bother me to pay between $40 and $50 a month if the provider were truly outstanding.

If I have a problem, I want to be able to talk to a real person or at least submit a ticket that gets answered quickly.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

how much space and bandwith do you need?
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HTML View Post
    startlogic is Ipowerweb
    I have often wondered if this was the case. Thanks! I used iPower 5 to 6 years ago. Then it wasn't bad. Today I hear of nothing but problems from people using iPower.

Quote Originally Posted by HTML View Post
    Hostmonster is the same as Bluehost, if anybody knows of Mr. Heaton ever being honest and ethical please let me know.
    Very true! Avoid Bluehost / Hostmonster / FastDomain like the plague! They are all bottom of the barrel hosting companies. I trust a crooked politician more than I trust Matt Heaton.