57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Related

1. Directories are for real?    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 0

Status

Are Directories a dying breed?

I've seen directories from the beginning. First there was Yahoo, then the open directory and after a few directory scripts were launced, they really took off, not so much for the public, but for webmasters as a means of building link popularity.

However lately Google has discounted the links from a lot of these directory scripts. One prominent directory script has even been withdrawn by its creators saying it could actually harm your website with google!
    So should we still be submitting to directories? I still do, but don't want to be wasting my time!!

New User

Status

Re: Are Directories a dying breed?

I'm no SEO Guru, but from all I have been reading you should focus more on Web 2.0 than static directories. Use communities, YouTube, Digg and tons of others that are dynamic. Do a podcast or blog, or even better a Vblog.

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by firmaterra View Post
    I've seen directories from the beginning. First there was Yahoo, then the open directory and after a few directory scripts were launced, they really took off, not so much for the public, but for webmasters as a means of building link popularity.

However lately Google has discounted the links from a lot of these directory scripts. One prominent directory script has even been withdrawn by its creators saying it could actually harm your website with google!
    So should we still be submitting to directories? I still do, but don't want to be wasting my time!!
    That is a nice question mate, I want to know too if it still worth to submit to directories again.

Status

I've been expirimenting with social networks with limited success. Average content just won't draw the crowds
    I'm working on something unique for Stumble and Digg that should do well. Unfortunately I'm one of those webmasters that is loathe to show my face (you can all count you're blessings ) so any videos wouldn't have that personal touch.
    For the moment I've stopped submitting to directories and I've started some new sites so it will be interesting to see how they build links without directories.

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by firmaterra View Post
    I've been expirimenting with social networks with limited success. Average content just won't draw the crowds
    I'm working on something unique for Stumble and Digg that should do well. Unfortunately I'm one of those webmasters that is loathe to show my face (you can all count you're blessings ) so any videos wouldn't have that personal touch.
    For the moment I've stopped submitting to directories and I've started some new sites so it will be interesting to see how they build links without directories.
    That depends on how popular you become. I managed to reach the top 20 in page views out of half a million ***** members (mostly inactive) so it's like the old EF Hutton commercial, when I talk, people listen.

Status

Cool. Will have to try harder in this area I guess.