28 users online (1 members and 27 guests)  

New User

Status

More than meets the eye

I see questions on which is the cheapest and best dedicated server, but that question is a contridiction in terms. Best is certainly not going to be cheap. The most important question is how much experience do you have as an administrator and can you handle root access? If you need a managed solution, be prepared to pay more. Then be aware that you may be getting a reseller instead of hosting direct or be put on a well used or outdated machine instead of a new one. Just a warning from experience, do your due diligence when comparing prices.
    Last edited by oldbuddy; 05-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.

New User

Status

Re: More than meets the eye

Very well said. I think the problem is that to many people are looking for the cheapest solution and not the best. The market has shifted to meet this demand and everyone is competing to give the most space and bandwidth for the lowest cost. While this in itself is not bad it does leave alot of questions about the quality of service to expect.

When I see providers who offer web hosting with 100gb of storage and 1 terabyte of transfer for only $2 per month I cringe. It is only serving to further drive down the costs and quality of hosting and force the rest to compete in a market that is changing to the point where hosting is a commodity now. Hosting providers have to expand their offerings and services to make money from other products as web hosting is becoming more of a loss leader these days.