44 users online (0 members and 44 guests)  

Thread: movies

Related

1. 3D effects in the movies.    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    New User

Status

movies

is there a script that I can use to play a small movie on my web page. I just want there to be a small box where the movie is and it autostarts plays once then thats it. Thanks

Administrator

Status
    Hello.

Three ways to do it -

Aim @ quicktime viewer ( see www.quicktime.com )

Aim @ Flash ( see www.macromedia.com )

<embed> the move in your page. This technique is easiest! But I am not 100% sure how to do it. I think it is the same as embedding a song. Search the forums for code to play music. Then try it.

let us know how you get on!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hey seph long time no see

I know it is your site and you will and should do as you please, but whenever I see posts such as this I like to jump in and make sure you and the folks who may read the thread and think this is a great idea understand the pitfalls of having a movie or a song, even flash auto-start.

Sounds like a great way to impress visitors, or to get a point across other than thru text doesn't it? I am going to break it down for you using hypotheticals

What size will the file be, even a 15 second movie or an MP3 is all but guaranteed to be over a megabyte.

How many visitors a day do you get, maybe 1000

Technology is catching up DSL and cable are catching on, yet not even 10% of computers are hooked up this way.

Limited information, yes, but enough to work with.

We have a file which we know for 900 people will take a couple of minutes to download, well thruth be known 899 of these people will leave after about 20 seconds. This leaves you with 101 people (good thing you do not get 100 people a day, you would only have 10 left at this point)

...should I even go on.

On the net there is one thing more important than understanding technology, that is understanding people. Always ask yourself if what you are doing is actually making a better surfing experience for your visitor or is it really self-serving.

Regards,

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    hey good to hear from you again. You're right there really wouldn't be ver many people visiting that page if there was a movie on it! However, I'm just making this cool site that I'm not going to post on the web for that exact reason. I've got so much cool stuff scattered on my comp I though it would be cool to have this "page" for looks. Not to post. so do you know how the text would look to put an avi in the web page. Also if there is a different format for mpeg it woul dbe nice to know. Thanks for the reminder, though I need to keep track of the size of stuff I do put on my online web page!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I would follow Deans links for quicktime, as far as Mpeg I believe it has been discussed here so a search of the forums might be helpful.

It sounds like you have a good grasp of the downfalls and know not to put the actual files on an entrance page. Giving the users a choice and allowing them to click thru to view is the only way to go.

good luck

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    Hey Thanks Dean and thanks Dave

I did a search and found a source code that worked for both my avi's and mpegs. I was wondering though giving the option to people and warning them of the size is probably the best way to go about showing my movie, how do I allow people to download the movies from me? that would be the next step to me. Thanks again

Administrator

Status

What kind of movies are these? stuff from the net or stuff you made yourself?

New User

Status
    Yeah forgot about the copyright stuff. I would have to get the guys permission to allow download wouldn't I? Do I need his permission to post them also or just to download them? Since I have some movies I've made myself can I still get the source code for them? Thanks for the reminder (its been too long )

Administrator

Status
    Copyright includes distribution (downloading). This covers everything, because they are downloading it even if they are just viewing it, because you cannot see something unless its on your machine.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?