34 users online (0 members and 34 guests)  

Related

1. SuperCom Object    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Autostart with embed object    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Change object tag content...    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. More then one fixed object.    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 7
    New User

Status

Question navigation object in multiple frames

In my html pages I wrote the following for navigating
    the history(go back one page) for my application.

<a style=background:#FFFFC0;font-size:11;cursor:hand href = "javascript:self.history.back()">&nbsp;GO&nbsp;BACK&nbsp;</a>

What I was trying to do is providing a "go back" button for the frames I embeded in the IE winow.

I have 3 frames and each frame may have webpage
    containing this "go back" button. And all the pages may appear in all of the three frame windows.

So I am using "self" to reference the current frame.

However, it does not work as I have expected.(i.e.,"go back" should navigate to previous page of current frame, not most recent pages among all the frames).
    It seems to me that IE does not provide seperate history object for different frames.

I am a new born for this Javascript and HTML stuff and hope somebody can shed a light on it for me.
    and I am testing it on IE7.

much appreciation.

xlu

New User

Status

Re: navigation object in multiple frames

Quote Originally Posted by xlu View Post
    In my html pages I wrote the following for navigating
    the history(go back one page) for my application.

<a style=background:#FFFFC0;font-size:11;cursor:hand href = "javascript:self.history.back()">&nbsp;GO&nbsp;BACK&nbsp;</a>

What I was trying to do is providing a "go back" button for the frames I embeded in the IE winow.

I have 3 frames and each frame may have webpage
    containing this "go back" button. And all the pages may appear in all of the three frame windows.

So I am using "self" to reference the current frame.

However, it does not work as I have expected.(i.e.,"go back" should navigate to previous page of current frame, not most recent pages among all the frames).
    It seems to me that IE does not provide seperate history object for different frames.

I am a new born for this Javascript and HTML stuff and hope somebody can shed a light on it for me.
    and I am testing it on IE7.

much appreciation.

xlu
    I recommend you to test your code in FF and Opera and Safari too. I guess each of them will act differently, meaning this is unreliable and is not documented in standards..