51 users online (1 members and 50 guests)  

Thread: Opinions needed

Related

1. Opinions?    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 6
  2. Opinions?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 5
  3. Looking for opinions    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  4. Opinions please.    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Opinions needed

Please give me your opinions on my page's layout

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/croy47/FantasyFans/home.htm

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I would suggest reading some of the other posts where I have discussed usability. At about 130,000 Kb you are saying adios amigos to your would be visitors.

Dave

New User

Status
    Thanks for the tip What problem are you having with the page? I think you're talking about load times when you say '130,000 kb'

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Exactly
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    understood. Do you think using a pre-load image script would help? Unfortunatley I don't have access to a dial-up modem, so I can't test this out. Worst case scenario, I suppose I could sacrifice the image links for good ol table backgrounds, or a single image with html text on top. the only problem is, the text looks choppy that way...

Administrator

Status

The problem with a preload is that the user must still load 130Kb of images.

You do not need a dial up connection if you know the size of your pages and graphics. For a front or entry page you should not go over 35,000 total size, once the visitor ahs seen the front page they decide to go furthur or leave, if the visitor stays there is something that caught thier attention and you can maybe raise it to 50,000.

Let me put it this way, the front page of the forum is a popular entry page for this site, it sits at about 65,000 total due to the extensive table structure. Having a paid host with gZip compression allows me to serve this page as fast as a 20Kb page.

...and I still worry!

The menu links are not to bad in size but when you have that many it adds up I think yours came to nearly 50kb just for these. You need to pay close attention to the background image also.

Think about it this way, a webpage with 125,000 of junk and 5 Kb of info, does this sound like a page that has something to offer? Try for a 50/50 split of graphics and info, while keeping it UNDER 50k, in other words eliminate atleast 100KB of images and add 20kb of useful info that would draw users to subpages.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    Thanks so much for your masterful insight. I'm going to work on cutting down on the size of the pages.

New User

Status
    BW, thanks for asking about opinion. I got more out of Dave's response because I had to go back and see what he was talking about and understand better. Overall I think it's alright, a little difficult on the color choice at the links (It could be my eyes) It loaded quickly but then again I'm on cable.