25 users online (2 members and 23 guests)  

Related

1. remote connect to Mysql    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 8
  2. MySQL remote access?    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 6
    New User

Status

Question about remote loading

I'm not entirely sure what all remote loading encompasses. Would the following scenario be considered remote loading?
    My website has a "photos" page. Instead of having all the photos on my site (it's a free site, so I don't have a lot of room), I upload the pictures to photobucket & have thumbnail versions on my photos page.

Is this remote loading? Is this allowed on the yahoo free server? I'm having issues with my site & I'm wondering if this may be it...
    Thank you!!

Status

Re: Question about remote loading

According to their TOS:

(p) use your home page (or directory) as storage for remote loading or as a door or signpost to another home page, whether inside or beyond Yahoo! GeoCities;
    Looks to me like you are thinking the wrong direction. They don't want you using your account for storage for remote loading, not for you loading from a remote site.

What problems are you having? Are you trying to run and server-side scripts (i.e. PHP, ASP, Perl) or use a database (MySQL, MSSQL, PGSQL)? I know those are not allowed, and that may be part of the problem you are having.

New User

Status

This is what Yahoo sent in their email saying they were suspending our service:

"The GeoCities Terms of Service states that you cannot use
    your GeoCities page as storage for remote loading or as a door or
    signpost to another home page, whether inside or beyond Yahoo!
    GeoCities."

The only other thing I could think of would be that I recently added an "intro" page to our account. It was a news page on the index.html page with a button at the bottom that led to the actual home page. I asked the people at Yahoo, but apparently they don't read the emails, they just have automated BS sent back to users.

Thanks for your help, by the way!

Status

Yep. That would be the problem. You have to have your actual home page as the first page people see when they come to the site.

New User

Status

Ahhhh.... ok... thanks!